Opinions,… Good, bad, ugly??

PQleyR

Platinum Member
You can do that with a normal pedal anyway...I can't imagine you'd get much more leverage with the heel part than you do normally. I'm not sure it's worth it, although that's just from looking at a picture.

turbojerk

You can do that with a normal pedal anyway...I can't imagine you'd get much more leverage with the heel part than you do normally. I'm not sure it's worth it, although that's just from looking at a picture.
Yeah I know,.. whats that technique called again?

C

Crazy8s

For $150 it is cheap enough for you to try yourself and tell us how you like it.

As far as opinions go, the die-hard double kick players who have put the time and energy into doing it right will scoff at these 'cheater' pedals. They know that you don't need them if you have properly trained your foot. The other camp, who haven't explored double kicks as much, will likely see this as an interesting novelty that can do some fun things and mix things up a bit.

If you want real double-kick performance, you probably will not be pleased. If you just want something fun to check out, give it a shot! For $150 you can't go too wrong. Mind you that this pedal's performance will suffer in 'singles' mode, having traded a single pedals simplicity for the complexity that it is.

...or it might fall apart on you in a few days. After all, you generally get what you pay for.

turbojerk

Well to be honest the whole reason that it got my interest is that on my vintage kit I use 13” hats (which I like) and the thought of moving the HH stand over to accommodate another pedal may not be to my liking… On my newer kit I use a Pearl Eliminator and I really like it and have for years now. I’m so used to a traditional double pedal that I’m not sure how I would like the “cheater” pedal. That’s why I posted this thread to begin with in hopes of hearing from someone who went from a tradition pedal to one of these to hear their feedback…

C

Crazy8s

Well to be honest the whole reason that it got my interest is that on my vintage kit I use 13” hats (which I like) and the thought of moving the HH stand over to accommodate another pedal may not be to my liking… On my newer kit I use a Pearl Eliminator and I really like it and have for years now. I’m so used to a traditional double pedal that I’m not sure how I would like the “cheater” pedal. That’s why I posted this thread to begin with in hopes of hearing from someone who went from a tradition pedal to one of these to hear their feedback…
Another way to look at this pedal is for alternative sound sources like a bell or wood block or snare or tamborine or whatever. Like a freebie ostinato.

I just just wouldn't trust it as a main kick pedal, especially if you develop bad habits from it's use.

Another tip for your hihat is to place the hihat's pedalboard on the inside of the slave pedal instead of the customary outside placement. Not all hihat stands will allow this so you might have to get creative if you want to try it out. If you do though, you'll find that your heel can close the hats while your toe plays the bass drum.

...but that is one of those smoke-and-mirrors magic tricks a modern drummer can use to play some really Crazy stuff! :) Now I am starting to want one of those pedals! lol

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I really wouldn't call that a cheater pedal because it really does require a different type of technical skill to master playing that thing.Check out youtube.I don't have the link but I recall seeing a drummer using two of those with double bass drums,and it was like listening to a machine gun.I couldn't even begin to guess at the BPM count;sufice to say that it was ....different.

I'm not really sure how musical it was...but to each his own.

Steve B

Red Menace

Platinum Member
...I don't have the link but I recall seeing a drummer using two of those with double bass drums,and it was like listening to a machine gun
A quick googlin' led me to this fellow, I think it's the one you were talking about. Guido Wyss, sweet dreadlocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvQArNyJMsY

When he gets all 4 beaters going it sounds like a taser. I figured it was only a matter of time till someone started doing this. Personally I think it's a little overkill but I could see this working in an extreme metal application.

We'll call it TASER METAL!!! RAAAAWR!!

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Yep..thats the vid.I just really don't know what to make of it.I guess i'm still at the "just because we can...doesn't mean we should" stage.

Steve B

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I've never been a double pedaller but I'd imagine that, on the plus side, it would make set up less complex and cluttered.

On the minus side, it would require adapting technique in a way that might not be so useful with conventional kick pedals.

My 2c

PS. This thread belongs in the Drum Gear section.

Travis22

I've played on one before, except I think I tried the Dualist one (they also make a TRIPLE beater pedal, WTH?). It kinda was fun to mess around on one, but I would never use it in a real playing situation. I couldn't seem to get the same amount of force/volume out of both beaters, so when you get going it started sounding like BOOM boom BOOM boom...
Personally, I would never trade in my standard double pedal for something like this.