Open mic fiasco.

FoolInTheRain

Sorry to hear that. It's happened to me before. I can deal with crappy gear, but what is completely miserable is when everything slides around. It's maddening.

coolhand1969

I will enthusiaticaly say "Good job" You made the best out of a terrible situation, you did not back down and walk away, you stuck with it and played. Excellent!!

T

The Old Hyde

My wife just sent this to me, rockin the 2 piece. They had place some kind of towel from behind the bar under the bass at this point but my bass player still had to lend a leg.

Attachments

T

The Old Hyde

I play two local open mics, and I alternate with another drummer. We both bring full four piece kits with nice drums and cymbals. It makes the event so much better having a house drummer with house drums. I have the call to say no to anyone who wants to sit in who I think is A: not very good and will break something or not add anything B: was not asked by the performer to join in or C: is drunk of his/her ass. I've met so many awesome drummers who've played great, become drum buddies and suggested ways to set up my kit I hadn't thought of. I'm not overly stubborn or particular about my set up and had some killer tips passed my way. We also have two house bass players and a host who always has a backup loaner acoustic guitar. We try to never keep anyone off the stage who came to play. I f I can't make it the other drummer does. Plus I always carry a ziplock of spare snare cords, cymbal felts, etc. plus multi tools, wrenches, a spare guitar cable, pics, and waaaay too many drum keys. I would hate to have the music stop because something broke and no one thought to be ready. You should give your email or number to them so if they need a sub, you can be it.
all of my fears when my other band host open mic.
our lead guy brings his strat and leaves his Les Paul home so if someone needs a guitar, they can borrow the strat only.

That happened at our local open mic/blues jam a few times, and the guy who organized it got the hint and bought a drumset that he brings to the jam every time. Just an old four-piece, but it works, it sounds fine, and we have fun with it.

Not only do I not want to risk an incident with my drums, but I work most Tuesdays (as does my wife), and I can't be hanging out until 11:30 Monday night to pack up my kit.
I like using my kit, but sometimes I tell the bar owner to use the house kit. just a tama rockstar but it woks fine and I don't need to tear down after. our open mic is till closing but we do sat nights, I don't get home till 3 if I bring my kit. I get paid so its not all bad. free beer and shots too!!

alparrott

Platinum Member
That happened at our local open mic/blues jam a few times, and the guy who organized it got the hint and bought a drumset that he brings to the jam every time. Just an old four-piece, but it works, it sounds fine, and we have fun with it.

Not only do I not want to risk an incident with my drums, but I work most Tuesdays (as does my wife), and I can't be hanging out until 11:30 Monday night to pack up my kit.

RockNGrohl

I play two local open mics, and I alternate with another drummer. We both bring full four piece kits with nice drums and cymbals. It makes the event so much better having a house drummer with house drums. I have the call to say no to anyone who wants to sit in who I think is A: not very good and will break something or not add anything B: was not asked by the performer to join in or C: is drunk of his/her ass. I've met so many awesome drummers who've played great, become drum buddies and suggested ways to set up my kit I hadn't thought of. I'm not overly stubborn or particular about my set up and had some killer tips passed my way. We also have two house bass players and a host who always has a backup loaner acoustic guitar. We try to never keep anyone off the stage who came to play. I f I can't make it the other drummer does. Plus I always carry a ziplock of spare snare cords, cymbal felts, etc. plus multi tools, wrenches, a spare guitar cable, pics, and waaaay too many drum keys. I would hate to have the music stop because something broke and no one thought to be ready. You should give your email or number to them so if they need a sub, you can be it.

groove1

Silver Member
...and that's why playing live is where you "get all the experience". You learn everything playing live. It is the best teacher and makes you do you things you never thought you'd have to, often with stellar results.

T

The Old Hyde

BTW, if you are thinking of getting a keys player, good ones (you know, the ones that can actually use their left hand), are really difficult to find.
in his studio next to the kit is a set of keys, i asked him who plays them and he said "nobody does" hahaha

keep it simple

Platinum Member
hmm something to bring to the boys at practice. no spandex pants though right?
No way!!!! Chimes get the chicks interested. They always want to run their fingers across them.

BTW, if you are thinking of getting a keys player, good ones (you know, the ones that can actually use their left hand), are really difficult to find.

T

The Old Hyde

We used to play Jump before we got a keys player (seriously). The guitarist worked out a superb chord riff that did the job nicely. Obviously, we missed out the keyboard solo.
hmm something to bring to the boys at practice. no spandex pants though right?

T

The Old Hyde

What - no chimes? I'd bail immediately & cry in my room for days! ;)

haha you should have seen the laundry in the bass drum..stuffed to the top with white towels and one red long sleeved shirt sleeve peeking through!

Would love to do that song :)
my classic rock band does Aint Talkin Bout Love. Old VH is so much fun to play. I want to do Jump like this band from England but we don't have a keyboard player :(

T

The Old Hyde

Nice vid. That's a cool way to do that song. I dig the snare sound too!
That guy that walked up... oh geeeze. Gotta get my tag up there for that dart game (...that won't happen because the band is IN the dart game area...)

But at least his marker is up there.

Nice that you got up there and did your thing on such minimal gear.

When we rehearse our Cheap Trick Tribute, I play on a really badly maintained kit at the guitar players rehearsal space. The snare stand will swivel sometimes when we're playing, and the cymbals are awful. I kinda like it though for some odd reason.

Same with my heavy rock band, when we rehearse at that guitar players house. He has a junky Olympic kit, no bottom heads, OLD pinstripe heads, and one ZBT crash ride with a set of zbt hats. I have fun on that kit too.

For both, I just bring my seat, sticks and pedal and I'm happy to be playing.
Thanks Karl

That guy bought me a beer! he was there with his wife, i don't know them. i was looking the other way and suddenly he was there, i was like wtf?!? he could have waited till we were between songs.
my guitar player has a Fender Starcaster kit in his practice studio. its actually not the worst but i like playing on it. I ruined the heads that it came with and put on some i had laying around. the best part of his kit is the roc n soc throne...i will steal it one day. ZBT's all around it too!

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Nice vid. That's a cool way to do that song. I dig the snare sound too!
That guy that walked up... oh geeeze. Gotta get my tag up there for that dart game (...that won't happen because the band is IN the dart game area...)

But at least his marker is up there.

Nice that you got up there and did your thing on such minimal gear.

When we rehearse our Cheap Trick Tribute, I play on a really badly maintained kit at the guitar players rehearsal space. The snare stand will swivel sometimes when we're playing, and the cymbals are awful. I kinda like it though for some odd reason.

Same with my heavy rock band, when we rehearse at that guitar players house. He has a junky Olympic kit, no bottom heads, OLD pinstripe heads, and one ZBT crash ride with a set of zbt hats. I have fun on that kit too.

For both, I just bring my seat, sticks and pedal and I'm happy to be playing.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
1, Running with the devil Van Halen
2, When I come around Green Day
3, Monkey wrench Foo Fighters
4: All the small things Blink 182
5: Should I stay or should I go The Clash
6:Brain stew Green Day
7: Sedated The Ramones
8:Everlong Foo Fighters
9: Peaceful easy feeling The Eagles
10 Kashmir Zep

Way to mix it up there :) It's like one of those series of pictures things where you have to choose which one doesn't belong :)

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Sounds like you made the best of a bad situation and stuck it out. Kuddos!

One can argue two sides to this and they are both correct: 1) stick it out like you did and show that you can play on anything and are flexible and a real pro, or 2) put your foot down and refuse to play on anything less than bare bones minimum and make a point that to make good music, you need the bare essential equipment. Would a guitar player play without an amp, or a bass player play without all the bass strings. Or a horn player play without his mouthpiece?

Sounds like you handled it quite well.

T

The Old Hyde

Sounds like you handled it well. I would have had to leave...I wouldn't have had a clue how to compensate with that. Chalk one up to experience and having the guts to go ahead with it. I'm impressed.
Thanks Mary, I was game for it. I did miss not playing some really good fills that involve more than a snare but it worked out. the crowd really enjoyed us and i got some nice compliments said to me by somebody afterwards so it was worth playing.

MaryO

Platinum Member
Sounds like you handled it well. I would have had to leave...I wouldn't have had a clue how to compensate with that. Chalk one up to experience and having the guts to go ahead with it. I'm impressed.