Onstage Banter...

fickpack

Hey everyone.
Usually I'm just one to lurk around, but I was wondering how much you guys participate, if at all, in stage banter in-between songs in your sets? I know lots of bands like to chat with the audience or crack jokes while guitarists are tuning and stuff, but how many of you fellow drummers ever take a crack at it? I'm curious.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
never.

I used to count off the next song off just to cut the singer from talking too much as it was. LOL.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
I've played with some singers that yak entirely too much - people get ticked off when there is too much non-music time during a set. Also had issues with changing and tuning guitars between songs. And telling the patrons not to forget to tip the staff. Duh.

topgun2021

Gold Member
I only enjoy hearing banter from big name bands because they (usually) understand how to talk coherently and in small amounts of times.

I hate doing any banter myself.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Never, as well.

I've always left it to those with the mics, under the theory that if they wanna be front and centre then they should be a hell of a lot better at that stuff than me anyway.
Always been happy enough to share a giggle on stage with a band mate, but not really anything that's for the benefit of entertaining the audience.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
I was in a lounge band many years ago, where we had a regular gig, 6 nights a week, for a year. We were friendly with the regular crowd and got to know some of them pretty well. The singers would chat a bit with the audience, although not at the expense of them standing on the dance floor waiting for the next song. Timing was important, as was content, and the singers & guitar player had a really good sense of both.

But it really depends on the band, the audience, and the gig. Stammering or idle chit-chat or bad jokes or just talking to each other doesn't cut it, I'd rather hear nothing between songs.

I never have a mic, so I don't have to worry about saying anything clever or entertaining.

Bermuda

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I have no choice. Our singer is very chatty and when he needs a subject for a joke it's yours truly. It's rare in real life that I let him get away with taking the Mickey. He wants a reaction and I always oblige ... we are not very serious people :)

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Since I have done some singing in every band I have been in, I have done some banter. I always keep it short. Peace and goodwill.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
My band has one good joke on stage. It usually goes:

'And that's Duncan, on the drums. He's younger than the rest of us put together...'

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Once or twice something has gone wrong with say, the sound system, or losing the power entirely. Lucky enough, I know a lot of really good, extremely tasteful and hilariously funny jokes.

You can tell when they're real good because the whole room groans. I'm told it's a sign of respect.