Online transactions on DW

justinxIP

I had a question about how you go about selling or buying things on a forum (DW obviously)
I don't really know too much about online buying in general but how do you go about deciding who pays first? Do you pay before you receive the item you're buying? (Or vice-versa, do you send the sold item before receiving payment?) How do you know your transaction is safe? If the agreement is documented in personal messages, are you definitely safe from being conned or anything like that?
I've only ever purchased on ebay or online stores so I don't know how to personally deal with all of this.
What are your experiences with buying or selling on DW? reliable?

thanks a lot guys!

drummerfish

too many answers to that one.

basically, if your the seller,you get the payment first,then send the item of course. figure out what payment methods you will accept. never send the item first. that just goes w/o saying.

many do paypal-i don't due to all the fees. and if i had paypal i would be selling on ebay. but my sales are just fine. plus my buyers don't wanna pay paypal and ebay fees which helps me sales,and i've build up trust in the online forum/drum community and have been selling in general since 98-ish.

if your the buyer,that's a bit different. some forums have a rating system. i never heard of a forum member ripping off another forum member,but there will always be scammers and just lazy sellers. its always a gamble whether its in ebay or a forum. but you gotta trust someone sometime.

don't take western union money orders from ANYWHERE,even in the u.s.a. i had a guy send one from only 2 hrs away and i couldn't cash it locally. they said "it has to be bought and cashed at the same location". this i don't understand,but this is also due to scammers using w.u. to scam people.

anyone asking to have a shipping company pick up the item is bogus. if you get a email from a shipping company (ups/fed ex) about something you sent-its a fake. i send drums around the world for a drum company i used to work for,and they don't offer that service.

if the seller knows what he's talking about,has a pic,is communicating and you get a good vibe-then its your decision to follow thru. sometimes people ask to call me which i'm cool with.i think they get a better feel for me when they talk in person.

my main question is...are you saying dw is now selling direct?, or that they have their own drum forum? i never heard of this. if so send a link.

THC

basically, if your the seller,you get the payment first,then send the item of course.

my main question is...are you saying dw is now selling direct?, or that they have their own drum forum? i never heard of this. if so send a link.
DW = DrummerWorld (I'm assuming)

In my opinion this whole idea of pay first, product second for private online type transactions is ass-backward.

The product is the variable in the transaction. Money is money, every time. When I buy something, I should always have the option to examine the product and decide if I want to purchase it. This is the way it is in most every other money/product transaction.

Currently, I send you the money for a product based only on a description you gave me. You send me the product, (if I'm lucky) if I don't like it, or you misrepresented your description, I'm screwed. If you happen to be a stand up person and will give me a refund, I have to send the product back and you have to send the money back. Ridiculous.

It should be, you send me product, if I like product, I send you money. If I don't like it, I send you product back.

There always has to be an element of trust on one party of the transaction. Why the buyer, and not the seller?

I don't expect it to change, I'm just sayin'

drummerfish

ahh,i'm stoopid. i thought you ment dw DRUMS.

i know what you mean,and in a perfect world everyone can trust everyone else,but that's not the case. you can't do that on ebay,amazon,other forums,etc...not to mention scammers,lazy sellers,someone might switch out a part and send back,NOT send it back,complain about shipping,etc...

all my sellers are happy campers and never had problems.but i also build up a rep on forums,old ebay buyers that now go direct,the music store i used to work at and the indie drum company i used to work for just to name a few.

i don't think this site has a rating system like other sites do. it would be nice. and i nevr heard of a fellow forumite rip off another. but i'm sure it happens.most buyers are quick to call out someone who doesn't follow thru or whatever. maybe someone else has some better answers.