Onkyo Receiver Problem

2underpar

Silver Member
Just a little public service announcement:

I recently developed a problem with my 2011 Onkyo receiver. When I turned on the receiver the speakers would not connect. If I turned it off and on they would connect and everything would be fine.

Now all the sudden the speakers stopped working all together. Come to find out this is a know problem with Onkyo receivers made for the past several years and Oynko is offering a free repair.

I contacted Onkyo (via the WWW) and they are sending me a shipping package so I can ship my receiver (free of charge) in for repair.

I had my choice of a $150.00 rebate on a new receiver or repair my 2011 model. I chose the repair since up until now it has been a great receiver and it initially cost me way more than $150.00.

They said 7-10 days for the repair. We'll see how that goes. It's hard going without it since I'm constantly listening to music when I'm home. I do have another receiver in the bedroom but the Onkyo was hooked up to the whole house.

So if you are having the same problem it pays to contact Oynko.

Cheers,
Bill

KamaK

Platinum Member
Just a little public service announcement:

I recently developed a problem with my 2011 Onkyo receiver. When I turned on the receiver the speakers would not connect.
Help us out here. Do you have bluetooth/active speakers or something?

I have an older 608 model and the only issues I've had so far is that the thing gets really hot, necessitating a vented cabinet with airflow..

2underpar

Silver Member
Help us out here. Do you have bluetooth/active speakers or something?

I have an older 608 model and the only issues I've had so far is that the thing gets really hot, necessitating a vented cabinet with airflow..
No.... No Bluetooth. Just the 7.1/ 2 Zone system. Everything is hardwired.

The problem is a defective chip/board. They are repairing the defective receivers until 2018 (I believe).

On their website there is a place to enter you SN# and it will let you know if your receiver is effected.

I already received the packaging today to return my receiver. I'll be packing it up tomorrow. They sent a nice size box, to include heavy packing material, plastic wrap, full roll of packing tape, twist ties and a prepaid label.

Last edited:

2underpar

Silver Member
Quick update:

I got the receiver back a few days ago repaired, zero cost to me. Shipping both ways went well, thank goodness. Everything works as it should.

It was hard to live without for those few days because my house has music pumping through it all day until evening when we finally turn the T.V. on.

So if you are having speaker problems with your Onkyo Receiver it pays to contact them.