On a SUPER low budget, need better drums.

PeTeR4171

Hello everyone. So, right now I've got an off-brand kit, and all it says on it is, "TKO PERCUSSION". They sound really crappy, and I'm trying to upgrade, but I can't really find anything at my skill level for under $100 used. I don't want to brag or anything, but I practice over 3-5 hours a day religiously and and I'm pretty good. Is there any kit that's at my level that I could get used for under $100?

Thanks,
Pete

longgun

Gold Member
Peter, not to rain on your parade, but you'll have a hard time finding a decent snare for under $100, much less a whole kit. Good luck

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'd suggest changing all of your heads as quickly as your budget allows, but right off I'd say top and bottom of the snare and top of the toms. If you can get a bass drum batter head too even better.

New pro-quality heads and some careful tuning can make even an entry-level set sound good.

marko138

Silver Member
The short answer is 'no'. Save your money and get a nice kit. In the meantime, buy new heads. Top and bottom. Retune and keep playing.

slowrocker

Silver Member
I would say to save your money then sell your kit and buy the best used kit possible. Preferably a big name brand like Tama Yamaha pdp pearl.

iontheable

Spend the money on a decent used pedal(or two if that's you're flavor)

And a cheap drum pad and stand.

And just play that all day.. I swear your vocabulary and abilities will sky rocket..

I spend an hour a day on my practice kit and with not having to worry about the options of "voicing" I can just play my ass..err hands and feet off!

RockNGrohl

In my opinion the cheapest kits i've seen are in the $300 dollar range at least. And they are low quality beginners kits. With them you are really paying for the drums and the drums only. They do come with hardware to complete the set but it is horrible. On the kit I started out on, the hardware was laughably low tech, light duty and barely functioned until each stand and pedal broke one by one. The stands were sooo skinny! Just like sixties hardware, on a nineties made in Taiwan kit! That is what lowers the cost of those kits, the lack of good hardware. It would not even be worth it to buy one. They are not even good for beginners.

Set aside a new drums fund and put a little in each time you get paid. It will add up to be enough to get something really good. If you do your homework and hunt around you could get a great deal on a really good name brand set. Good luck!

opentune

Platinum Member
I agree with all above who said the start is to get all new heads and re-tune. But for a basic 4-piece that will be close to $100.

So .... here's an alternate way, and can be done cheap but takes a little time.
You have to first ask the question - does it matter how my drums LOOK?
If not, here's the deal. Lots of orphan drums, that are intermediate to pro level, and sound good, but are used, maybe scuffed, can be gotten for very cheap. Yes your kit won't 'match' but you will have some nice well-made drums from whoever makes them. Same true for hardware - can be gotten piece by piece.

At home I have been amassing a super-cheap but nice sounding 'orphan' drum kit:

13x12 1980's Tama Superstar Tom - $10 (local clist)
16x16 1970's Slingerland 3 ply Maple floor tom - $50 (sitting on its own at a pawn shop)
20x16 1960's Slingerland 3 ply Mahogany Kick drum - $85 (local clist)
All are 'quality' drums for total of $145. The 13 and 16 even match wood grain. It sounds great and ya, looks like a hodge-podge.

The trick is you have to keep watching locally, and read up to know junk from jems but you can give those orphans a home!

Now getting decent cymbals is a way more expensive endeavour...start saving for that one.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I don't want to brag or anything, but I practice over 3-5 hours a day religiously and and I'm pretty good.
Pete
Nah, bragging would be something like, "I actually make money playing my drums...enough to live"

;)

$100 won't buy you anything. Make your drumming pay for the loan you'll pull for your new gear. That's what I'd do. Good luck!

JBoom

Hello everyone. So, right now I've got an off-brand kit, and all it says on it is, "TKO PERCUSSION". They sound really crappy, and I'm trying to upgrade, but I can't really find anything at my skill level for under $100 used. I don't want to brag or anything, but I practice over 3-5 hours a day religiously and and I'm pretty good. Is there any kit that's at my level that I could get used for under $100?

Thanks,
Pete
There's no such thing as a kit kit that fits a skill level. Actually, the better one is, the less they need a fancy kit.

$100 will not upgrade what you have unless you get really really lucky and find someone selling a used kit and doesn't know the value of drums.

As was mentioned before, buy new heads with the money, it will improve the sound of your kit.

Also, if you're good, play on a street with a donation can in front of you and a note explaining you want a better kit to play on.

sirbowen1982

Pawnmart is a chain of Pawn shops that list some (not sure how much) of their items online.

Here is a "Rodgers Complete Drum Set" for $90 http://pawnmart.com/?itemid=115964182074

Their descriptions are generic and you'll have to email them for pictures of the kit. The good news here is that they're fast with replies.

Last week I found a listing on their site for a "Chrome Ludwig Snare" for $43. Emailed them for pictures and it turned out to be an 80's Black Galaxy Acrolite (not chrome, lol). Paid $58 after shipping.

When it arrived, it turned out to be the "Jet Pak" kit with backpack case/stand/practice pad in brand new condition, not a single scratch or ding, not even a fingerprint.

Email them for pics... This Rodgers kit might be just what you're looking for and it's the only kit I've seen around that'll fit your budget. However, I don't know much about Rodgers drums and wouldn't know if it's a "beginners" kit or not.

As for a good snare... you'll want to save up at least $100. You can get an acrolite for that price any day of the week on Guitar Central, or cheaper if you're patient and keep looking for the best price.

tripp2k

I agree with all above who said the start is to get all new heads and re-tune. But for a basic 4-piece that will be close to $100.

So .... here's an alternate way, and can be done cheap but takes a little time.
You have to first ask the question - does it matter how my drums LOOK?
If not, here's the deal. Lots of orphan drums, that are intermediate to pro level, and sound good, but are used, maybe scuffed, can be gotten for very cheap. Yes your kit won't 'match' but you will have some nice well-made drums from whoever makes them. Same true for hardware - can be gotten piece by piece.

At home I have been amassing a super-cheap but nice sounding 'orphan' drum kit:

13x12 1980's Tama Superstar Tom - $10 (local clist)
16x16 1970's Slingerland 3 ply Maple floor tom - $50 (sitting on its own at a pawn shop)
20x16 1960's Slingerland 3 ply Mahogany Kick drum - $85 (local clist)
All are 'quality' drums for total of $145. The 13 and 16 even match wood grain. It sounds great and ya, looks like a hodge-podge.

The trick is you have to keep watching locally, and read up to know junk from jems but you can give those orphans a home!

Now getting decent cymbals is a way more expensive endeavour...start saving for that one.
Take a look at the thread 'pictures of mic'd drumsets' on gearslutz and you'll see a few that have been professionally recorded but are kits that have been pieced together.

Apologies in advance if I'm not supposed to mention other forums, but I've been lusting over mic setups lately.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Surely this is a troll.
Possibly a troll,but definately a hit and run.He hasn't been back in 3 days.Either that or he didn't like the answers he was getting,or maybe no one offered him pro grade drums for 100 bucks?Let me check again,maybe I have a spare set of DW collectors,and some old Zildjians lying around I can give away.:):):)

Steve B