Older Yamaha Stage Custom worth it?

Jml

I’m still in the market to replace my old kit, and came across a second generation Yamaha Stage Custom shell pack only (no stands, snare or cymbals) for $300. It’s from the early 2000’s with the yellow/black badge and says “Stage Custom Standard”. Sizes are 10, 12, 16, 20. I understand they were made of basswood with an outer birch shell. The wrap on it is still great. Looks like it was barely used. They still have original heads on them so they probably won’t sound great if I try them out. So I’m really going to have to decide by instinct, not sound.

My questions are: Is this a good deal- considering they’re NOT all birch shells? Anyone used or still use an older Stage Custom? Will the 20” bass drum be loud enough for rock?

alparrott

Platinum Member
I have a set of these drums and they tend to sound really good. $300 is a pretty good price too when you look at prices on eBay and Reverb. One thing though - Stage Customs have always had lacquer finishes, not wraps, so when you mention a wrap I think yours has been modded.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I have s set of 2002 Yamaha stage customs. My rack Toms are deeper than the newer models. Mine has a 22” bass drum. So my rack Toms sit pretty tall and I have them at more of an angle than I would prefer.

Jml

It's the old Matte Cranberry Red from early 2000's. It has to be a wrap, no?

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I don’t think it’s a wrap. And the price is ok. I brought my 2002 kit in 2016 for $340. Best money I ever spent. I’ve been gigging them twice a week for about four years.

Jml

Here's a close-up sample shot of a similar make, model, year and finish of the one I'm looking at. Isn't that a wrap?

yammyfan

Those drums are made from Philippine Mahogany with an outer layer of Birch, and they're stained instead of wrapped. They're great drums. I've got them in 10,12,14 with a 20 x 17 kick drum. I would not hesitate to buy them again. They're my go-to kit for gigs.

Brochure Snip.JPG20190119_164805.jpg

alparrott

Platinum Member
That's the ply seam, not the wrap seam... they are stained as yammyfan said.

Great drums, good price, go for it if they're in good condition. Mine have lasted over 20 years and hundreds of gigs.

Jml

This is why I'm a member here - you guys are the best! Thanks for all the knowledge. I am going tomorrow to pick up the kit unless someone beats me to it and makes a better offer today. Fingers crossed they're mine tomorrow.

yammyfan

Post pics when you get them!

I'll be putting clear pinstripes on mine this weekend. Something tells me that they're the perfect heads for those drums (y)

Last edited:

yammyfan

Happy to say I’m a proud owner of a Yamaha Stage Custom! Haven’t set up the kit yet and need to get new heads, but here is a preview. It’s 10, 12, 14, 20.
Sweet! I love that color too.

Mine resonate like crazy so I tame them with 2-ply heads. YMMV of course and much depends on how you'll be using them. Let us know what you think of them!