Old hi hat stands beat newer one

opentune

Platinum Member
I just got an old vintage 60s' MIJ kit for only $120, sveral drums in not bad shape. it came with some random old hardware. I was planning just to sell off all the 'junk' hardware but this old hihat stand interested me. I thought I'd give it a try, and its crazy but it plays and feels better than than my more 'modern' Gibraltar or Yamaha's I'd been using. The old hihat stand looks like crap, but its a keeper . Anybody had the same experience?

evilg99

Platinum Member
A 60's era MIJ Pearl hihat stand? Dunno, that looks more like an 80's stand.
And generally no, I have found that 60's hihat stands and most hardware is absolute garbage. Especailly Ludwig hardware from that era. Horrible.
I have owned that Gibraltar hihat stand too and didn't care for it either.
The new vintage style flat based stuff is great. Lightweight but strong.

Your mileage may vary.

Neal

Galadrm

And generally no, I have found that 60's hihat stands and most hardware is absolute garbage. Especailly Ludwig hardware from that era. Horrible.
My school has an old ludwig stand, its not vintage, im guessing late 80's, and it is the most solid hi hat stand I have ever played. It is so rigid though that it feels a bit uncomfortable. haha, if that even makes any sense.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
That's funny, I played a pearl pedal that looked like the same line/vintage on a junker hire kit the other week and I loved the thing.

The following week I landed a pearl export pedal. Man those things suck.

Flareless

I have that same hi hat stand. It's from a Pearl set I got in '81 which I still have. It's been in storage a good deal of time between then and now but it plays great. I have a DW 5000 series hi hat on my main kit which I love but I don't mind it at all when I have to play the old Pearl.

Attachments

evilg99

Platinum Member
My school has an old ludwig stand, its not vintage, im guessing late 80's, and it is the most solid hi hat stand I have ever played. It is so rigid though that it feels a bit uncomfortable. haha, if that even makes any sense.
A late 80s Ludwig Atlas stand is a far far cry from what they were offering up in the 60s.
Not even the same universe. They shouldn't even both be called hi hat stands, they are that different...
A long time ago while in high school, I played on two different vintage Ludwig kits, almost daily. The drums were fantastic. The hardware was just...angry.
The cymbal stands would routinely fall over, bolts stripped everywhere, broken tilters, mechanically clunky even though it wasn't really heavy enough to be clunky etc etc. It was enough to swear me off Ludwig for years. I liked the speed king pedal though .... :)

Neal

opentune

Platinum Member
Ya I didn't mean to imply the Pearl stand was 60's but it's still old. I just find it quite smooth and quite sturdy for it's weight. But just like bass pedals it's sometimes how they feel and fit to your foot.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Just stay away from the matching bass drum pedal to that HH stand— using one of those for a few years in the early 80's was a pretty miserable experience.

I have to second evilg re: Ludwig. They've been synonymous with lousy hardware in my mind basically forever. I'd kind of like to get one of their 70's rock sets, but I don't want to deal with that stchewpid tom mounting system....

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
I had some unknown brand of hi-hat stand for my very first kit - it was sturdy but had this weird, vague tensioning bracket I could never figure out how to use. It served me well until I got a Tama IC Lever Glide stand and I have never looked back nor preferred any other stand.

I still however, to this day once in a while, use my Yamaha single-chain kick pedal from my 1994 Power V kit. That pedal has seen better days but plays heavenly to this day. I also miss my ORIGINAL Camco kick pedal.

NerfLad

Silver Member
Just stay away from the matching bass drum pedal to that HH stand— using one of those for a few years in the early 80's was a pretty miserable experience.

I have to second evilg re: Ludwig. They've been synonymous with lousy hardware in my mind basically forever. I'd kind of like to get one of their 70's rock sets, but I don't want to deal with that stchewpid tom mounting system....
Then get some Keystone badges :)

Ludwig's hardware has improved a lot recently, though. They've turned themselves around nicely this decade, I'd say. Nice to see the Americans stay in the game.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
No, I want the olive badges! There's something wrong with me. But I'm sure they have improved— there were a lot of very dark years for them there, through the 90's. They're probably getting their hardware from Taiwan now, like everyone else.

evilg99

Platinum Member
You can substitute other hardware for anything in the Ludwig catalog new or old, Todd...don't let that hold you back.
Blue and Olive it up!
As others have said, I have to admit the new Ludwig hardware looks great.
Even Atlas Classic flat base stuff.
So why am I still tentative about it

Neal