Old dude learning

Paul0073

What’s up people, I’m new and have a few questions. I guess I will start by saying I’m mid 40s and basically a beginner. I’ve played around over the years thinking I can play haha but I’ve actually said the hell with it and bought a real kit. Having kids and a mortgage always put my aspirations to become a drummer in the backseat. I know I’ve had it in me my whole life, it’s something you can just feel. I’ve had times when I’ve played and it’s been super natural and I’ve thought wow.. did I just actually do that. Other times I’ve been like wtf am I doing.. i suck

So here are my questions. What do people think about someone my age starting to learn? After watching YouTube I’ve realized I can’t play anything organized at all. My technical skills are pretty bad. That said, not being 25 things like minor arthritis, memory isn’t what it used to be etc.

Second question is where should I start? Pay for formal lessons or watching YouTube? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks folks!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
You are never too old for drums. An experienced teacher would be the best route, YouTube doesn't give feedback, constructive criticism, and answer questions.

Don't get discouraged, this is a long journey where everybody sucks at first.

Paul0073

You are never too old for drums. An experienced teacher would be the best route, YouTube doesn't give feedback, constructive criticism, and answer questions.

Don't get discouraged, this is a long journey where everybody sucks at first.
Right on. Thanks for the reply. Maybe it’s a midlife crisis? I haven’t been creeping the dealership for a red sports car, so I’m pretty sure it’s pure desire. I’ll definitely check into lessons.

picodon

Silver Member
It's certainly a lot cheaper than a sports car :)
I started after 41 years of air drumming and 6 years later now I'm starting to sound decent although I have far too many other things to do to ever become a "chops" drummer.

The Tommy Igoe series (Groove essentials) helped me quite a lot but 1 year of lessons from a very demanding and talented guy helped a lot more. Several years playing in a samba percussion band taught me to listen to the others, I can really recommend playing with others as early as possible. You will obviously suck but will suck less and less very fast in such a motivating environment.

Ronzo

Wow! I connected immediately with this as I am in the same boat. Somedays I question why I am even doing this. Feel like an old person in a young persons game.
I use as many resources as I can including some instructional books (with CD/DVD), YouTube and have an instructor. Getting constructive criticism at my stage is critical.
When you start something like this later in life you want to expedite the learning process.
Another tip is start recording yourself. That was a humbling experience for me.
Keep at it! Age us just a number....in my case it is a big number....but just a number nonetheless.

BonsaiMagpie

I'd go for a combination of youtube and lessons to begin with, then see what is more comfortable going forward.
For example, Drumeo has the 10 first lesson beginner series, from setting up to drums comfortably (actually more important than it sounds) all the way through to your first beats and fills.
But a teacher will be able to see how you hold a stick and how you kick and sit and be able to put your basic technique on the right track.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
So here are my questions.

What do people think about someone my age starting to learn? Seems typical and common to me.

After watching YouTube I’ve realized I can’t play anything organized at all. You are ready to play in a band now.

My technical skills are pretty bad. No where to go but up.

That said, not being 25 things like minor arthritis, memory isn’t what it used to be etc. Take acetaminophen and listen to what other band members are doing. Play along and focus on the groove. Make them sound better and they will love you.

brentcn

Platinum Member
I currently have a student who is 46, and started a little more than 2 years ago in private lessons with me, with no prior experience. After about 9 months, he joined a band at the teaching studio. Our school is a bit unique, because, in addition to offering private lessons, it groups adult students into bands, teaches them to play whatever songs they want, and gets them gigs. The student still takes private lessons with me, in addition to being in the band program. In about 2 and a half years, he has learned about 30 songs, and performed all of those songs live with a band. He has also joined a cover band with some coworkers at his day job.

My advice to you would be: take private lessons for about a year, and then join some kind of band that plays gigs (probably unpaid gigs at first). After you have covered some basics, learning to play songs with a band will force you to focus on actual playing skills, and, hopefully, be more fun. With a band to motivate you, you'll stick with it longer, meet new people, and learn more.

Lennytoons

Find a good local teacher. Practice with a metronome until your groove is seared into your brain. Don't worry about fancy fills and showing everybody what you've got. Play simply, in time and everyone will think you're a pro because....that's how most pros play.

HeavyDrums

I'm 49 and I just started drumming in July. You're never too old to make music. Plus learning a new instrument staves off Alzheimer's.