Old Bands Die, New Band Begin.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Do I detect a rye poke at me there Larry?

Edit: whoops, just saw the thread, teehee, emailed out to band members!
Andy! I would never! You must think I have it in for you lol. I don't, honest!
I was referring to the butcher thread.

The guy from Los Lonely Boys, Henry Garza, plays some nice blues stuff, I just caught a special on them.
Aeolian, I will check out the names you mentioned, thanks.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Glad to hear that you're lifting your game, Larry, but I don't get to read them all. Coincidentally, the last one was on 13 May 1998, which was when I hung up my drum sticks (for good, so thought).

It seems the prevailing mood in the room is out with the old and on with the new, but I'm still catching up on what seems to be a galaxy of old memos ...
Really May 13th Pol? What a coincidence. I just pulled a date out of thin air. Actually it's my wifes birthday. Only she wasn't born last year lol.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I just pulled a date out of thin air.
So did I :) I quit sometime in May 1998 and at that time I completely divorced myself from the music scene so I could devote my time towards falling for useless bums. That's when I fell behind the times. In the last few years I've become aware of a mountain of much older stuff I only knew by name, if at all. So, rather than sifting the new pearls from the swine, I'm going through the old barrels of pork looking for shiny objects.

Aeolian, I agree 100% (again) ... in the 80s we had some brilliant blues guitarists who could do anything they wanted over 12-bars at 130 decibels - Mal Eastick, Kevin Borich, Phil Emmanuel. I especially remember going to a Borich gig after he'd finished his excellent KB Express period with John Annas and Tim Partridge. The venue wasn't that big and he was playing waaay too loud for the room. Fantastic player, but I had to get out ASAP.

It's a shame that when people gain great control over their instrument they so often opt for shredding and power over lyricism - it's a shame to me, anyway.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
It's a shame that when people gain great control over their instrument they so often opt for shredding and power over lyricism - it's a shame to me, anyway.
Trouble with that is, you have to wait 30 years for anyone to notice how good you were. For immediate recognition, power and speed are definitely the way to go!

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
I'm wondering if there any new tricks to be found on guitar or if they've all been found by Les Paul, Hank B Marvin, Eric, Jimi Hendrix, Alan Holdsworth, Adrian Belew, Stanley Jordan, Bob Fripp, Charlie Hunter, Ian Williams, Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, Jeff Beck, the various Captain Beefheart axemen, Brian May, Fred Frith ...
Its possible but there is only one first time and that will always carry weight. The guys who break the ground will always have more cache than the guys who come after and rightfully so IMO

Bloody hell! I´m a drummer and guitar player as well...and I didn´t know it, thanks to you Polly!

I'm wondering if there any new tricks to be found on guitar or if they've all been found by Les Paul, Hank B Marvin, Eric, Jimi Hendrix, Alan Holdsworth, Adrian Belew, Stanley Jordan, Bob Fripp, Charlie Hunter, Ian Williams, Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, Jeff Beck, the various Captain Beefheart axemen, Brian May, Fred Frith ...

Attachments