OK I changed my mind

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I don't understand why the pitch would go up with the P4...
Me neither. The pitch seems higher on the bass drum. But when I use regular Emperors or Pinstripes on the toms, the pitch goes lower. Maybe I should've done the Simon Phillips "bounce on the bass drum head" technique to stretch it out some. I'll try that next when I have time to put the head back on.

Me neither. The pitch seems higher on the bass drum. But when I use regular Emperors or Pinstripes on the toms, the pitch goes lower. Maybe I should've done the Simon Phillips "bounce on the bass drum head" technique to stretch it out some. I'll try that next when I have time to put the head back on.
Ok, one more question: is there any difference in sound between the Remo falam slam beater patches and the Evans clear ones? I have a bunch of the Evans ones sitting around so I could use that when I get my new head or should I buy a Remo patch instead?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Ok, one more question: is there any difference in sound between the Remo falam slam beater patches and the Evans clear ones? I have a bunch of the Evans ones sitting around so I could use that when I get my new head or should I buy a Remo patch instead?
Use whatever you have. I think they're both about the same. Oddly enough, I don't use those because about every week of heavy playing (or less than week) I'm rotating my bass drum head to change the beater spot. I don't normally dent my heads because I don't dig the beater in to it, but I do make sure I'm not hitting it in the same spot for days before it breaks!

IBitePrettyHard

I used Falam Slam Pads for years, and never liked how much they dampened the head, so I always cut them smaller with scissors to reduce the dampening they do. If the Evans pads are thinner (they look like they are) then I would definitely try them instead.

I used Falam Slam Pads for years, and never liked how much they dampened the head, so I always cut them smaller with scissors to reduce the dampening they do. If the Evans pads are thinner (they look like they are) then I would definitely try them instead.
Were you using the big circle ones, or the smaller ones that they make now?

IBitePrettyHard

Were you using the big circle ones, or the smaller ones that they make now?
I just looked at an old bass head...it was the 4" Falam Slam pads that I cut down to a vertical rectangle, 1 3/4" wide and about 2.5" tall (to account for the different beater lengths I might use).

It looks like 2.5" Falam pads are the norm now, which is good, but I'd probably still shave some off of those as well.

Basically, my rule of thumb is to trim almost everything that isn't directly being struck by the beater or beaters. It makes a noticeable difference!

I just looked at an old bass head...it was the 4" Falam Slam pads that I cut down to a vertical rectangle, 1 3/4" wide and about 2.5" tall (to account for the different beater lengths I might use).

It looks like 2.5" Falam pads are the norm now, which is good, but I'd probably still shave some off of those as well.

Basically, my rule of thumb is to trim almost everything that isn't directly being struck by the beater or beaters. It makes a noticeable difference!
Are they kind of thick? The Evans ones are pretty thin but I haven't used a Remo one in years so it's hard to compare.