Oi !! He's right, I can't do it!

bud7h4

Silver Member
The guitar player in this video explains the difficulty in singing the backup vocals ("Oi ... Oi ... Oi") on AC/CD's song TNT while playing the rhythm guitar part.

I can tap the "Oi" while playing the guitar part easily enough, so limb separation, per se, isn't a problem. Although the discussion revolves around guitar, it just shows that you can have all the limb separation in the world, and there's still another level of "brain separation" (voice) to explore and develop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV0BhZA0w-A

-

Last edited:

BruceW

I sing backup on quite a few songs, and occasionally I run into a song or two where the vocal timing is counter enough to make it difficult to do both. Never tried TNT before, might have to give that a go in my practice room...fun song, certainly

New Tricks

Platinum Member
TNT while playing drums certainly can't be difficult. Guitarists are counting on the drums to provide the back beat so they don't give it as much thought as we do.

I still struggle with some of the backing vocals on Don't Stop Believing while playing the slightly syncopated drum parts.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Singing and playing drums for me isn't a problem. I am a terrible singer though, so I only do it at low volume.

Guitar wise, I can't sing a thing. Now granted, I am a horrible guitar player. But the few things I can play, singing screws it all up. I still have to think about my fingers and where they go a lot.

Icetech

Gold Member
I sing along with quite a few songs when practicing.. one thing i have noticed is some songs have a fill during vocals and at that point my mouth usually stops working :)

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
Singing and playing drums for me isn't a problem. I am a terrible singer though, so I only do it at low volume.

Guitar wise, I can't sing a thing. Now granted, I am a horrible guitar player. But the few things I can play, singing screws it all up. I still have to think about my fingers and where they go a lot.
Wow, were we separated at birth? This was going to be my exact response. I swear the melody part of my brain can only do one melodic thing at a time. Guitar or sing. Never both.