Not quite a sale but wanted to get an opinion...

M

Matt Bo Eder

As stated in another thread about adding to my blue sparkle Luddies, I've continued to look around to see if there were any blue sparkle snares out and about, and of course I would find a couple. Rarest I found is a 6.5x14 1970s 8-lug snare in pretty good shape.

I'm debating on moving on this drum. So would anyone be interested in my 90s 5x14 Supra before I put it up on the 'bay for sale to help fund this acquisition?

Or, to make this more of a discussion, would anyone argue against having a matching snare? I think it would complete the look of the kit, even though from the audience side you never see the snare drum. And I do get a great sound out of my Supras now, I just think a blue sparkle snare would be pretty cool, especially a 6.5". Thoughts?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
As much as I like wood snares over metal,

I'd keep a 5x14 Supra over a blue sparkle Ludwig.

And unless you can see it in person, who knows what shape the bearing edges are in on an old wood snare.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Either buy it to supplement what you already have. Or leave it alone.

But don't flog the 400 in order to do it........because we all know that you'll just be forking out even more money to buy it back in 6 months or so. If you really must sell something in order to finance it, pick something else......something that you haven't gushed about on the forum before. Something that you won't miss.......because even the village idiot in the darkest depths of the Congo knows it ain't gonna be the Supra!! :)

M

Matt Bo Eder

True about not sacrificing the Supra, but I own two Supras. My main one is my 6.5" Bonham one from 1978 that I don't wanna lose, which I think is more versatile than the 5 in any case. So there is that to consider.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Either buy it to supplement what you already have. Or leave it alone.

But don't flog the 400 in order to do it........because we all know that you'll just be forking out even more money to buy it back in 6 months or so. )
^ Pocket is wise!

He is indeed full of gold wisdom.

And beer.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Did I say I had two Supras? I think I did.....

;)
So what. You have two hands too. Are you gonna sell one of them as well?

Silliness aside. You really think that'll be enough to stave off the regret of selling it? I think not. And I'm prepared to wager fifty Aussie dollars that says if you do this, you'll be looking to buy it back in the not too distant future anyway. You have prior form on these matters remember Bo. One doesn't exactly have to be psychic in order to predict the likely outcome here. I've been following your posts a long time, dude. Your character traits are there for all to see!! :)

KnuckleBuster

[QUOTEQuote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I've been following your posts a long time, dude. Your character traits are there for all to see!! :)

Keep It Simple -Bear - woods - pope - catholic - death - taxes -------------
---[/QUOTE]

Two great posts here! Keep the Supra and get the other one...you know you can swing it. LOL!

M

Matt Bo Eder

Well, I suppose disaster has been averted. I got better pictures of the blue sparkle snares up for sale, and both are a bit far-off from matching my particular blue sparkle drums. Which is weird, I've seen marine pearl that yellows over time, but the sparkles always seemed to hold up. Perhaps these sellers left their snares out in the sun too much.

Anyway, forget I asked.

Maybe I'll go the other way and now try to find a blue sparkle 14x14 or 16x18 floor tom, just to look cool ;)

wildbill

Platinum Member
Get the blue sparkle, sell one Supra, keep one Supra.

If you decide later that you just can't live without two Supras (doubtful),
then get a second Supra again.

Edit - oops, I missed the post above. Never mind.

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Bo we all know you can well afford this drum, and you can always unyellow the wrap in one day with peroxide gel and sunshine...

The 6.5 will do anything a 5" will. Back in the day, there were 10 million blue sparkle Ludwigs....now you hardly ever see them. I'd like to see you get the snare. I'm just not convinced you'd like it.

When was the last time you gigged a wood snare?

Sparkles yellow for sure. You've heard of champagne sparkle ginger ale-ing. Same thing.

I unyellowed my WMP's 4 years ago and they still look friggin as good as the day I did them. It really works well. If I did it again, I wouldn't even take the lugs off the drum, not necessary. The gel doesn't do anything to chrome. Or you could re wrap any wood snare in blue sparkle, if your wrap is unyellowed.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Bo we all know you can well afford this drum, and you can always unyellow the wrap in one day with peroxide gel and sunshine...

The 6.5 will do anything a 5" will. Back in the day, there were 10 million blue sparkle Ludwigs....now you hardly ever see them. I'd like to see you get the snare. I'm just not convinced you'd like it.

When was the last time you gigged a wood snare?

Sparkles yellow for sure. You've heard of champagne sparkle ginger ale-ing. Same thing.

I unyellowed my WMP's 4 years ago and they still look friggin as good as the day I did them. It really works well. If I did it again, I wouldn't even take the lugs off the drum, not necessary. The gel doesn't do anything to chrome. Or you could re wrap any wood snare in blue sparkle, if your wrap is unyellowed.
Thanks. But these snares I was looking at are really light blue, almost like somebody else made the wrap (or they were re-wraps). I'll hold out and see if anything else pops up in blue sparkle. Right now I'm digging that I got the 8x12 tom, that I'll see tomorrow. So hopefully that sparkle will match (the photos were very close).

I've already ordered a new mount bracket for it and a newer Ludwig double tom mount for the bass drum (the modern one with the ball-and-socket arms). So in any case, providing the 8x12 matches, this kit is now a 5-piece.

I'm debating swapping out the badge for a B/O badge - I learned how to remove and replace those years ago so I could do it myself. We'll see.

TBH - I've never really gigged a wooden snare, but I've heard really good ones. Psychologically, a wood snare tuned way down like Don Henley's makes sense.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Oh man I like my wood snares tuned high as well as low. They ring like metal but don't fatigue my ears in the long run.

You know how to do badges, that's cool. I never saw it done. Do you need a special tool?

Any original Ludwig wrap should unyellow to original color or pretty darn close. But it's true there were variations in shades. When Delmar makes the wrap, I think if the temperature is off a hair, or the humidity, it affects the final color.