Nostalgic moment, the notes of our century

zakhopper316

Silver Member
Yesterday I was preparing for college to start up again by getting my music books out for class and purchasing the required listening off of iTunes. 2 books we still use regularly at the Manhattan School of Music are Stick Control and Syncopation. I decided to buy an iPad 2 this summer to use for school primarily as a music book and sat down last night to painstakingly scan each page of stick control and syncopation into the IBooks program on my iPad because I refuse to pay 10 bucks a pop to download the books from the iBooks store as I already own the hard copies.
As I was sitting there copying and looking at the exercises I was struck with a sence of aww, How many great drummers have played these exact notes and combinations off these exact pages? My favorites like Steve Gadd, Steve Jordan, Jojo Mayer? Even the older guys like Philly Joe, max roach? How about Buddy Rich. did he play the patterns on page 7? All the great drummers that have Gone through my school certainly have but how about you?
Have you yourself played these pages? And how many of your favorite legends have played one or both of these books?
Sry if this isn't going anywhere but I really love drumming in my heart and this experience yesterday gave me such a strong feeling and emotion I had to share.

aaajn

Silver Member
Yesterday I was preparing for college to start up again by getting my music books out for class and purchasing the required listening off of iTunes. 2 books we still use regularly at the Manhattan School of Music are Stick Control and Syncopation. I decided to buy an iPad 2 this summer to use for school primarily as a music book and sat down last night to painstakingly scan each page of stick control and syncopation into the IBooks program on my iPad because I refuse to pay 10 bucks a pop to download the books from the iBooks store as I already own the hard copies.
As I was sitting there copying and looking at the exercises I was struck with a sence of aww, How many great drummers have played these exact notes and combinations off these exact pages? My favorites like Steve Gadd, Steve Jordan, Jojo Mayer? Even the older guys like Philly Joe, max roach? How about Buddy Rich. did he play the patterns on page 7? All the great drummers that have Gone through my school certainly have but how about you?
Have you yourself played these pages? And how many of your favorite legends have played one or both of these books?
Sry if this isn't going anywhere but I really love drumming in my heart and this experience yesterday gave me such a strong feeling and emotion I had to share.

Pretty cool sentiment. Too bad they are not in some electronic form already. However, sometimes a paper book is far better than electrons. They are very energy efficient.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
A lot of history there for a lot of people at all levels of drumming. I would miss not having the paper book. I'm still using my stained and shredded original copy from 1982, which I finally had to put in a binder:

Attachments

zakhopper316

Silver Member
A lot of history there for a lot of people at all levels of drumming. I would miss not having the paper book. I'm still using my stained and shredded original copy from 1982, which I finally had to put in a binder:
That is great! Look at the character that page has. My copy of syncopation has alot of instructions at the top as well from my first drum teacher who has since passed, every time I pick up that book I can hear him "get that thumb up!" he was old school!

I will probably miss the hard copies at times but they aren't going anywhere! I'll keep them around and preserve them. My classes are very spontaneous (especially With John Riley) and u never know what material the conversation will take us to so by having 1,000 pages (by Friday when I'm done scanning) worth of books and materials on my iPad I'm saving 15 pounds off my back pack! That's great for me because if u have ever been to NYC we have stairs everywhere! And little seating when waiting for busses subways ect.

Also it's great for teaching, I teach a few kids and the iPad combined with my stylus pen is going to replace the students books starting soon. I'm going to pull up say, page 7 in stick control, write all notes directly on the iPad for the specific student douring the lesson, then print it out and give it to them. I just hope it doesn't prevent them from realizing the exact thing that I did, how important these 2 standard books are.

Numberless

Platinum Member
I sure do, I'm currently using them both, my Syncopation copy is beat up, it's not filled with instructions because my drum teachers write all of those on a separate notebook.

I love both books dearly, and to me it's such a joy sitting with my classmates and talking about these exercises, how amazing the first three pages of Stick Control are, the awesome repeating pattern at the end of Exercise 7, the frustration in trying to learn Dawson's ways and so on. They're a piece of drumming history and they bring us a little closer together.

EDIT- I love the picture, you can almost see the hours of practice.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Apage like the one above would make a great home page background. My photography eye see those things. Take a photo of it and have it to look at every time you turn it on.