Non musicians opinion about musicians

M

motojt

There's a subjective statement, and therefore can be false if I think it is, according to your logic. I reject your reality and substitute my own!
<defeated>Aargh!!!</defeated>

And yes, "hip" is no longer. I don't know what its current replacement is, but the last one I remember was, "Off the chain," which is really just a branch of "Off the hook." "Kids these days." ;)

Alan0899

G'day Everyone
I have worked in my current day jobe for over 30 years, it is in a hospital, & most people in this place don't know I play drums, & if & when they see me at a show, or whatever, I usually get, Oh I didn't know you played music, & I tell them, I have only just started, 40 years ago.
When I met my latest lady, she already knew I played drums, she had seen me play, so after we got together some time later, & told her mum that I was a drummer, & I rode a Harley, oh my god, was her mum's reaction.
Obviously, I must be hairy, with a large gut, a drinking problem, women in every town I have ever been near, & then there were concerns about what I did as a drummer.
When I finally met her mother last year, her fears were unfounded, she does not want her daughter on the back of a Harley, but her mother still wants to go for a ride with me on my bike. Go figure.

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
There's a subjective statement, and therefore can be false if I think it is, according to your logic. I reject your reality and substitute my own!

You imply that if you are in college, it's still hip. Because I'm not done yet.
I take it the word "hip"... aint anymore....
Just for the record, I just learned that from Steelie, who is much younger than me.
<defeated>Aargh!!!</defeated>

And yes, "hip" is no longer. I don't know what its current replacement is, but the last one I remember was, "Off the chain," which is really just a branch of "Off the hook." "Kids these days." ;)
Nope it's done.

Nowadays, I'm not even sure there is a substitute for "hip". I just use "Awesome" as the word. Maybe 'Epic'.

Being young is great. :D

toddbishop

Platinum Member
In my mind, I view it as a positive thing. We're cool and easy going, hip and open minded. But I wonder what the majority think.
I think in the US there's a general sentiment that artists are deadbeats, even among seemingly cool people. Often when I let people know what I do, there's a minute of conversational wrangling to let them know that, being a musician != being unemployed, and no, I don't have a day job. Also, I don't know if these people are a majority, but in the past I've noticed a lot of staff on cruise ship and hotel gigs seem to be pretty contemptuous. And contemptible: the crew on one river boat routinely referred to the musicians by a pretty vile racial slur, because we didn't put in the same hours they did, and were therefore "lazy". Occasionally people will try to kid around about musicians not working for a living, and I let them know I don't want to hear it. On ships with international crews we would tend to get some guff also because, along with the passengers (who everyone hated), we were the only Americans on the boat.

OT: "Hip" is an entrenched musician word, and isn't subject to fashion. People don't use it because they're trying to sound cool- it describes a specific quality. Making fun of people for using it tends to brand you as a non-player.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
OT: "Hip" is an entrenched musician word, and isn't subject to fashion. People don't use it because they're trying to sound cool- it describes a specific quality. Making fun of people for using it tends to brand you as a non-player.
snap

Or do they still say that these days ;-)

Nightworker

As someone who has a day job, but has gigged regularly on drums and bass for a couple of decades, I have seldom found any negative reactions to being a musician, but that may be because I am not trying to make a fulltime living out of it.

But even though most non-musicians have no idea of the effort that goes into being able to produce decent-sounding music, I have found that they are generally highly appreciative and if anything a bit envious/awestruck that you can actually do it. Many of the people we play for would do anything to be able to get up on stage and do what we do, but they realise they don't have the talent/willingness to put in the time and effort it takes. Musicians are always going to be hip... David

jjmason777

Being young is great. :D
I agree. I used to say the same thing at your age. Enjoy it while you can. 30 years will go by in the blink of an eye (time seems to go by exponentially faster each year), and you'll be saying "Where the hell did the time go?".

However, I would only want to be young again if I could keep the wisdom and experience that my years have given me. I wouldn't trade that for the world.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Oh snap, now I don't need a hip replacement!
Vindication!
Yea you read it. Not subject to fashion.
Excuse me while I strut around the room.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Yes Jeff, each year does go by faster. At age two, a year is half your life. At my decade - approaching the time when the word "hip" is usually followed by "replacement" - it is a small portion of your life.

People are surprised that I play drums (they usually expect vocs because women sing, or keys because I wear glasses, which = nerdy).

They tend to think it's pretty cool for about 10 seconds, after which it's forgotten. No one ever expresses interest in hearing my music. Most people only care about themselves, unless it's info that makes for good goss.

azrae1l

Silver Member
i'm really curious, how may of you have had people think your less of a musician for being a drummer? i think .......thats what i want to say....

when i play rhythm guitar i get: oh, your the rhythm player...... so, who actually writes the music?

when i play lead guitar: oh you must be very creative to come up with all the music...

when i sing; oh so it's YOUR band....

when i tell people i'm learning to play drums; *puzzled look* did the music store run out of guitars?

when i play bass: so your a groupie/roadie? well you don't even really play anything........

i love musical hierarchy, everybody assumes your instrument designates your importance to the band..... and the vocalist is the leader ha!

ok so they were probably just making fun of me............

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I've definitely had a few. "Why do you want to play drums anyway? Nobody can see you back there.."

I didn't pick drums, drums picked me is what I say.
I get that attitude often enough.

yesdog

Silver Member
i'm really curious, how may of you have had people think your less of a musician for being a drummer? i think .......thats what i want to say....

when i play rhythm guitar i get: oh, your the rhythm player...... so, who actually writes the music?

when i play lead guitar: oh you must be very creative to come up with all the music...

when i sing; oh so it's YOUR band....

when i tell people i'm learning to play drums; *puzzled look* did the music store run out of guitars?

when i play bass: so your a groupie/roadie? well you don't even really play anything........

i love musical hierarchy, everybody assumes your instrument designates your importance to the band..... and the vocalist is the leader ha!

ok so they were probably just making fun of me............
I was always told that us drummers are the bus driver and the rest of the band are the kids
sitting at the back of the bus. Believe it or not a Drummer can make or break a band.
You can get away with a bad guitar player, but if you have a bad drummer it makes the
whole band sound bad. All of those drummer joke's are from pure envy Ha!!

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Oh snap, now I don't need a hip replacement!
Vindication!
Yea you read it. Not subject to fashion.
Excuse me while I strut around the room.
Oho yeah. "Jive" is another one- though it's more specific to jazz musicians. To most people it's cartoonishly 70's, a word out of a blaxploitation movie.

M

motojt

How about "cats?" As in, "Those cats are swingin' man!" <guffaw/>

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Sure, that's another one.

Hey, are you eventually going to write something about the drums on this drumming forum? I just skimmed your posts and damned if I can find a single one that is on topic. What's your purpose here?

M

motojt

Hey, are you eventually going to write something about the drums on this drumming forum? I just skimmed your posts and damned if I can find a single one that is on topic. What's your purpose here?
Ah, didn't know I had a fan. Mainly social like most everyone else here. I posted a few bits here and there on software and gear in case you missed them while perusing my DW Resume. :p