Nobody to play with so I'll ramble

Thorgrim

Through the 1990's and early 2000's I used to play in a crazy band in Southern California that was fairly popular locally, and we opened up for such notables as The Cows, Melvins, Fu Manchu among others. We got radio play on the college stations, put out some vinyl and had a fantastic time. Ah the salad days.

I always played some old trashy Pearl drums, but I never beat em up and could play as loud or as quiet as I wanted, my heads would last and last along with my sticks. I was proud that I played well though I never learned a rudiment. When the band dissolved I got me some V-Drums. I stayed with them for a while, but the passion just was lost on those things and they got sold about 3 years ago.

I'm a self taught drummer from the age of ten, now aged 39 years with a family and I've decided to take up the torch, and buy some decent gear now that I'm all grown up. Money is an issue, with three kids and putting my wife through college- so I sold some rifles to come up with the cash to get a new set of Yammie Stage Customs and a holiday pack of Zildjian A's. Nothing earth shattering, but I'm proud of it anyway.

What do you call a guy that follows around a bunch of musicians? The drummer.

That old joke referred to me specifically and I'm feeling it now. Not very proud of it anymore. I still have skills and can hold a groove forever with granite timing, yet I cannot read sheet, and severely lack technical or I guess what you might call classical drumming skill- Rudiments?

At this point of my life I don't wanna be a star, but I DO want to become more of a musical and professional drummer. I'm dedicated to getting some lessons and learning the basics that I skipped early on, and finding someone to play music with. This is difficult due to the fact that I live in North Central Arkansas now, and the pickins are slim as far as teachers or anything else is concerned here.

So here I am, a new member at Drummerworld doing my homework, following links and reading threads, getting on some video instruction. And practicing. I'm continuing to wrestle with getting that sound I want out of these particular drums with the stock heads, but I'm getting better.

I want to thank all of you for all of the intelligent posts and great links you provide, and if you happen to be deer hunting out in the middle of North Central Arkansas and hear some beats, follow the noise and say hello. Bring a bass player!

Fishbones

Silver Member
check out jojo mayer's secret tools for the modern drummer. it's a rudiment crash course. challenging stuff, but manages to be non-intimidating. glad to see you've gotten back into drums!