No Rhythm Dude

Souljacker

Silver Member
Rather than taking the p**s out of the poor people you should just feel blessed that you are not cursed with the affliction. Some people have no sense of rhythm, some are tone deaf. There is nothing they can do about it, its like vertigo, no one wants to have it but there is not a great deal you can do to fix it.
Robert Fripp was tone deaf and become a groundbreaking musician, never mind a great one.

mikel

Platinum Member
I wonder if that is actually the case; that people can't overcome their rhythm or tone deafness. Or if they can at least be made aware of it. I am sure that some forms of it could be overcome with instruction but I guess there are others that are wired so that they can't.

The first time I was made aware of it was Mr. Constantly drumming out of time on desks and tables guy. It was all over the place and would drive one mad. I'm sure my approach helped to make him defensive. I have to wonder what the result would have been if I had brought a metronome in and showed him what he was doing. Whether he would at least accept the fact that he couldn't keep steady time.
No you cant. I have a friend who is totally tone deaf. He knows he is and there is nothing he can do. You could ask him to sing the same line of a song he loves, over and over. and it will be different every time, and awful every time. He is trying to sing it correctly but something in the brain gets in the way. And he loves music.

Its the same with rhythm. If someone cant naturally tap there foot in time to a floor filler, without even having to think about it, they have no inbuilt sense of rhythm. Just watch them try to dance.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I wonder if that is actually the case; that people can't overcome their rhythm or tone deafness.
It's all part of a spectrum. Some people cannot hold stead time. Some people are unable to clap along with a steady beat when it's presented to them. Some people can only hold a beat when it's forced upon them (Takin care of business). On the flit side, some people naturally perceive polyrhythms with 3|4 or 4|5.

With practice, almost anyone can bump themselves a couple ticks upward in the spectrum, but without rigorous exposure and practice, that's about all you're going to get.

I'm sure there are exceptions, where a brain disorder or inner ear issue affects someone so profoundly that things can't be undone. I'd consider those to be true disorders though and not just part of the environmental/genetic soup of humanity.

Nate'sKit

I wasnt taking a pop, just pointing out that its an affliction. Being tone deaf or having no sense of rhythm are not things people chose to have, or have because they are lazy or dont care about music, Its just the way they hear it. They simply cant articulate what is in there head. Instruction wont help, especially with tone deafness.
I wonder if that is actually the case; that people can't overcome their rhythm or tone deafness. Or if they can at least be made aware of it. I am sure that some forms of it could be overcome with instruction but I guess there are others that are wired so that they can't.

The first time I was made aware of it was Mr. Constantly drumming out of time on desks and tables guy. It was all over the place and would drive one mad. I'm sure my approach helped to make him defensive. I have to wonder what the result would have been if I had brought a metronome in and showed him what he was doing. Whether he would at least accept the fact that he couldn't keep steady time.

Thunder 42

Silver Member
Rather than taking the p**s out of the poor people you should just feel blessed that you are not cursed with the affliction. Some people have no sense of rhythm, some are tone deaf. There is nothing they can do about it, its like vertigo, no one wants to have it but there is not a great deal you can do to fix it.
Feeling blessed indeed. The humor as most see it here is the drunk guy in the vid. Glad you're keeping it light...

mikel

Platinum Member
I wasn't making fun of anyone. I've just made the mistake of asking people who were showing instances of tone and time deafness if they knew how off they were and they argued with me.

"Does this make my butt look too big?" Ruuunnn!
I wasnt taking a pop, just pointing out that its an affliction. Being tone deaf or having no sense of rhythm are not things people chose to have, or have because they are lazy or dont care about music, Its just the way they hear it. They simply cant articulate what is in there head. Instruction wont help, especially with tone deafness.

Nate'sKit

Perfectly light, thanks for asking. Just responding to this post.

(Quote)"Don't even think about telling them, and the same goes with the pitch challenged. They think they are spot on and will argue with you to the end of time.

When you find someone who can't keep time or sing in key, just run.
"
I wasn't making fun of anyone. I've just made the mistake of asking people who were showing instances of tone and time deafness if they knew how off they were and they argued with me.

"Does this make my butt look too big?" Ruuunnn!

mikel

Platinum Member
Lighten up, Francis.

Perfectly light, thanks for asking. Just responding to this post.

(Quote)"Don't even think about telling them, and the same goes with the pitch challenged. They think they are spot on and will argue with you to the end of time.

"

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
Lighten up, Francis.

mikel

Platinum Member

Nate'sKit

Don't even think about telling them, and the same goes with the pitch challenged. They think they are spot on and will argue with you to the end of time.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I've known a number of individuals like this (married to one). I'd venture to guess that rhythm is part of the the diverse spectrum of cognition that us humans inherit. I've often wondered if it's all related to our perception of time of time, as I see other symptoms (uneven acceleration and breaking for example) in people that lack rhythm. Perhaps one of these days I'll google some studies.

That video was awesome, huge fan of shreds.
Holy crap...I'm married to one too! Her accelerating and breaking drives me crazy!!

Thunder 42

Silver Member
We have a gift people. The gift of rhythm. Cherish it. Cherish it every day of your lives because there are those that walk among us that do not have the same gift. In fact, some are void of said gift entirely and it is not good. Not good at all...

No Rhythm Dude
BDD, this is really good stuff. Really laughing out loud here! Man, this hit me hard!!! Hahahahahaha!!!! I can't stop...!!! The cymbal crash moves in the first song are killer...

Last edited:

Icetech

Gold Member
As for the video, I'm embarrassed for all of you...it's patently obvious that this guy's playing some seriously complex polyrhythms around a basic beat. We should all be kneeling at his feet.
Awesome :)

AND OMG remove the damn 20char min limit thing!!

philrudd

As for the video, I'm embarrassed for all of you...it's patently obvious that this guy's playing some seriously complex polyrhythms around a basic beat. We should all be kneeling at his feet.