Newbie needs help finding songs to practice simple fills on..,

MaryO

Platinum Member
Okay, now that I've ventured into the world of fills, I need suggestions for good songs to try to work one or two into. I just spent almost 2 hours in my basement working on fills and having a blast. Nothing too hard, basically using a 1 and 3 rock beat and filling in with eighth and sixteenth notes with a crash on the 1. I feel I'm doing pretty good with that on it's own but can't seem to work it into any actual songs and make it sound right.

So...what would you suggest as a good song for a newbie to practice fills on? I like mostly classic 70's and 80's rock so something in that genre would be great, especially if I'm going to be playing it over and over again during practice.

Thanks!

Fox622003

Gold Member
Dancing Days by Led Zeppelin? Watch for the crashes, though, as most of them fall on the last eighth of the bars, instead of the 1 of the next one. Perhaps "All My Love" by Zeppelin too; slow paced, straight ahead groove, should be quite fertile ground for filling.

Fox.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I had great fun with the early Kiss albums. Kiss, Dressed to Kill, Hotter Than Hell, Destroyer. They have enough variety to be interesting, but aren't so hard as to be intimidating.

MaryO

Platinum Member
Dancing Days by Led Zeppelin? Watch for the crashes, though, as most of them fall on the last eighth of the bars, instead of the 1 of the next one. Perhaps "All My Love" by Zeppelin too; slow paced, straight ahead groove, should be quite fertile ground for filling.

Fox.
All My Love has been a great suggestion Fox. Working on the first verse and feeling as if I'm actually hitting a few simple fills in the right places. Not playing exactly what the recording is but just getting in a few fills where I feel I can comfortably put them in and making baby steps. Having fun. Thanks!

Any more suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

JohnW

Silver Member
This is more '60s-70's. But Cosmos Factory by Creedence Clearwater Revival is really good, very fun and fairly easy to play with. A nice less is more approach where the drum voicings and fills seem to play themselves.

"Who Knows" from Jimi Hendrix's Band of Gypsies is great to lay a back beat to and put in some simple but effective tom fills in.

"I'm in Disgrace" from the Kinks "Schoolboys in Disgrace" rocks out (after about 30 seconds) or "The Hard Way" from the same album.

for late 70's, Joe Jackson's "Look Sharp" (from the same album title) or for a faster song "Baby Stick Around" are really good to play along with.

-John

CrescentFresh

Dancing Days by Led Zeppelin? Watch for the crashes, though, as most of them fall on the last eighth of the bars, instead of the 1 of the next one.
Wait really? Most songs are like this? I tend to find that majority of the crash hits are accompanied with a bass hit, and most measures begin with a bass hit. I don't generally hear two 8th bass hits beginning a measure but I definitely could be mistaking. Obviously any song can be different but what are examples of this?

Fox622003

Gold Member
Wait really? Most songs are like this? I tend to find that majority of the crash hits are accompanied with a bass hit, and most measures begin with a bass hit. I don't generally hear two 8th bass hits beginning a measure but I definitely could be mistaking. Obviously any song can be different but what are examples of this?
Take a listen to "For Your Life" by Led Zeppelin too. All the accents are on the "ands".

Fox.

Matty G.

Nick Mason from Pink Floyd has some really nice fills and simple grooves that helped me when I was learning.

Daveyj88

The Groove Essentials DVD had great, and often very simple fills from the amazing Tommy Igoe. The book has great play-along tracks as well. Buy everything this guy has released!