Newbie needs advice

Ken Douglass

Hello all. Today is my 50th birthday and, after soooo many years of loving the drums, I want to (finally) learn to play. I don't have a drumset, only sticks. I need advice on what I should do to learn properly. Please help!!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
To learn properly? Get a good teacher

Pay your money and learn correctly from the get go. Don't follow the "I'll teach myself via youtube vids" path. Too many think they can and too many end up lacking the basic skills to carry them through.

Regardless of whether you just want to play in your basement or whether you are looking to set the world alight, this is one situation where it pays to have the guidance and experience of a qualified teacher..

And many happy returns for the day!! :)

MaryO

Platinum Member
Happy Birthday and congrats! At 43, I'm just learning as well (about 3 months in). I would strongly encourage you to find a qualified teacher and take lessons as well. I'm sure, like me, you would love to just jump in and start playing songs but learning the rudiments and all the basics is really important. So many things I THOUGHT I knew just from loving the instrument and watching others and boy was I wrong! It's amazing what I didn't know...lol.

Whatever you do...good luck and have lots of fun and look here for advice....these guys are a great support system and can answer most questions.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I agree with the "find a great teacher" method. Don't hire your first instructor from craigslist, although you might find a great one. Also, don't think that once you take a lesson from an instructor you can't stop looking for another teacher. It is best to try out several instructors to see which one's teaching style you relate to. Talk to drummers in your area or give a call to your local Uni or high school. I highly advise the Uni or HS route. They will usually be able to pass you a number of a colleague who teaches privately.

And... Happy Birthday!!!

74f100

I also learned/ learning drums "later" in life. The teacher is the first step, you will do things based on the way you hear things, which may or may not be correct.

I went to watch local bands play, then talked to their drummers. Turned out one of the drummers that really impressed me with his play, was also a drum teacher.

You will want to find a teacher that is "in to" the same style you are. A rock drummer will have a hard time teaching jazz.

V

vorsybl

Yeah Id agree with most people in saying get an instructor. I've been taking lessons through my college for the past 2 and a half years and am a much better player now

DanJacobs

Hi Ken and a warm welcome to the forum.

I would also suggest getting a good teacher as nothing 'beats' :) one on one lessons.

However depending on your budget etc etc and if you have never played before i would also suggest a Beginners Package DVD - further details can be found here

Wishing you the very best of luck!

Dan

jeffwj

Platinum Member
To learn properly? Get a good teacher

Pay your money and learn correctly from the get go. Don't follow the "I'll teach myself via youtube vids" path. Too many think they can and too many end up lacking the basic skills to carry them through.

Regardless of whether you just want to play in your basement or whether you are looking to set the world alight, this is one situation where it pays to have the guidance and experience of a qualified teacher..

And many happy returns for the day!! :)
I would write a response, but Pocket's post says it all! Best musical wishes and happy birthday!

Jeff

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Don't hire your first instructor from craigslist...
Unless you live in Richmond - haha. I advertise on Craigslist all the time and get many students from it. But I also have an extensive resume. There are many people who post drum lessons on Craigslist with no experience and hope that people will come to them because they charge $15 an hour. No matter where you look for a drum teacher, ask about his/her education and experience.

Jeff

V

vorsybl

Hi Ken and a warm welcome to the forum.

I would also suggest getting a good teacher as nothing 'beats' :) one on one lessons.

However depending on your budget etc etc and if you have never played before i would also suggest a Beginners Package DVD - further details can be found here

Wishing you the very best of luck!

Dan
Nice advertisement lol

74f100

Unless you live in Richmond - haha. I advertise on Craigslist all the time and get many students from it. But I also have an extensive resume. There are many people who post drum lessons on Craigslist with no experience and hope that people will come to them because they charge $15 an hour. No matter where you look for a drum teacher, ask about his/her education and experience.

I'm just south of Richmond,,,, where do you teach?

Thanks,
Jim