Newbie? Need Advice From a Pro Drummer? Let's Chat

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Henri! I am shocked and appalled!
My sincere apology Duncan... but holding a mic upside down and having blond hair... it's extremely hard to resist :)

Yes, and by far the best post in this thread... genuilely professional.

Look, given that we can't sink much lower I want to gratuitously show off my first ever metal track! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXBjcacpUX8

Sub-sub genre would be satirical dark ambient abstract noise doom :)
Mmmh... With the tease of this track on the other thread (pop music) and finally this link here, I thaught I was in for a treat... I waited... waited... the treat never came...

To be honest I was genuilely expecting something totally different... I mean metal wise... as an ambient soundtrack-ish piece I guess it's ok, but it's not what I had in my mind, definitely my least favourite of your six "ambient" tracks, the free acid jazz being the best by a large margin (it's also the less "ambient" and the most "music" track).

But... keep them coming Grea, one bad (for me) out of six is quite an achievement :)

...err, shouldn't it be posted in the "Your Playing" section???

Armor of Light

Only the female ones Steve :)

Still can't classify Larry's buttstrap though, I'm sure it's in a class of it's own. Come to think of it, I don't even know what it's design is (that's surely a good thing). I'm guessing a mankini without the upper portion? Either way, not good for tours.

Best buttstrap for metal? I'd imagine that 180bpm stuff would kinda chafe after a while. Wait, that's it, that's why Larry plays blues, it's the only genre you can play & embrace buttstrapism :)
Tommy Lee used to play in a bananna hammock!

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I thaught I was in for a treat... I waited... waited... the treat never came...

To be honest I was genuilely expecting something totally different... I mean metal wise... as an ambient soundtrack-ish piece I guess it's ok, but it's not what I had in my mind, definitely my least favourite of your six "ambient" tracks, the free acid jazz being the best by a large margin (it's also the less "ambient" and the most "music" track).

But... keep them coming Grea, one bad (for me) out of six is quite an achievement :)
Thanks for the honesty, Henri. Surely you didn't expect me to go dugga dugga dugga ... I wouldn't know where to start with that caper :) I always preferred doom to faster metal anyway. I thought it was close to my best one - I get a kick out of the giant crunch moments and Morbo seems well suited to metal - but that's taste for you (and my odd sense of humour).

I doubt I'll get as musical as in Tuning in to the Space Station again - my keyboard died, so that's my one and only keyboard song lol

Want to hear odd ambient music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhyWH6B68iA&feature=player_detailpage#t=129s

This is what happens when I write satire of electroacoustic composition...
Funny comment ... 'Soothing Sounds of the Industrial Revolution' ... but how can anyone tell it's a satire? :)

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
The best satires are so close to the original that it is hard to distinguish.

In this instance I was deliberately getting a rise out of one of my lecturers that I happened to dislike and the other lecturers were very supportive!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Look, given that we can't sink much lower I want to gratuitously show off my first ever metal track! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXBjcacpUX8

Sub-sub genre would be satirical dark ambient abstract noise doom :)
Dang, that's more evil sounding than all the Scandinavian metal bands.

I have some few dark and evil doom metal recording in my collection, but your song makes all that material sound like Happy Disney music.

Talismanis

In regards to my previous question, how do I hit ALL of the drums and cymbals I own at once really really really really fast?

Anon La Ply

Renegade
The best satires are so close to the original that it is hard to distinguish.

In this instance I was deliberately getting a rise out of one of my lecturers that I happened to dislike and the other lecturers were very supportive!
What was the lecturer's reaction? Did he proclaim the piece as genius? :)

Dang, that's more evil sounding than all the Scandinavian metal bands.

I have some few dark and evil doom metal recording in my collection, but your song makes all that material sound like Happy Disney music.
Funny thing is, it's mostly doctored voice in the first bit where the music holds its breath for a moment and then goes BLERRRGGGHH like a massive musical puke :)

In the "drum" solo everything I tapped is made of metal to fit the theme. Much doctoring again - I'm not even nearly that smooth.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
He just looked confused. We all knew he was too stupid to 'get it'. The funny thing was, he was my supervisor. I did things to deliberately irritate him - like not telling him why I'd given it the title I had, what the sound sources were or even what it was about.

It was triple-marked so there was no issue. It got decent reviews...