New Years Eve

yesdog

Silver Member
How many of you drummers out there are playing on new years eve.
I am and none of my friends are coming. The place we are playing at is 80$ a person
I am excited to play but kind of bummed out because my friends and family will not be there. Thats show biz.

Garvin

Pioneer Member
I've got a busy night. I'm playing a North Indian Classical concert from 5-6, then leading a West African drum workshop from 6-7. Those are both at the same place. Then I go down the street to do an 8-12 gig with a Jazz/Blues trio. I think I'm walking away with $600 that night. I actually just got another call this morning but there is literally no way I can take anything else.

spides666

I did about six years on the trott and stopped and haven't done them for about the last four years....always the flatest night of the year for some reason.....you'd think it would go off but it's usually a mess

perhaps I played to the wrong crowds.....I tend to avoid those gigs these days

have a good one

mcbike

Silver Member
It usually is a lame night, similar to valentines day. Everybody thinks they want to party, but really they want to get their date home for some lovin'. It usually dies out just after midnight. The pay is usually good, without going into specifics i'm getting paid 1.5x the normal rate, and we are supposed to get a bonus from the owner if it's a good night (which it will be, they already sold out all the tables.) New years is a big night for bars, and alot of clubs are looking for live music that don't normally look for it. Alot of clubs will do a cover charge, or even up their cover charge, charge extra for tables. Naturally this $$ should extend down to the band.

I always hate playing new years, because it's really lonely being up on the bandstand playing a gig while everybody is toasting and having a good time.

The worst gig I ever did on new years was a total disaster we went into this song from the blues brothers - can't turn you loose, and we went into this extended groove of the main intro. the bass player was responsible for keeping an eye on his watch and letting us know when it was time to do the count down. the singer was rambling on about new years etc. then he went to the bass player and asked "allright, how much time do we have left?" the bass player looked at his watch and said ON THE MIC "oh it's two minutes past, we missed it" everybody in the crowd got really pissed and started yelling and booing. then we had to pretend to do the countdown and nobody really cared. He should have just lied and said oh yeah we got 20 seconds starting now and nobody would have known the difference.

Concrete Pete

I guess I'm "lucky"-- I have a gig that's paying $500 each for all 5 of my band members in my Loose Change band. It's about a 1-1/2 hour drive each way, though--that's cool with me!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
C. P.

jer

Silver Member
No clue what the pay is, but we're playing a place called Alpine Lodge:

I do know we have 2 nights accom covered (30th and 31st)... sucks being away from friends and family on days like New Year's, but I look at that pic - I can deal for this year.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Yup, we're playing new year's eve too. It's only our band's second gig. Although the gig is local we get full accom for the band + family members, free booze & food. Pay is a combination of door & bar percentage. It's a hot venue & sold out so we expect to get about £1,500 ($2,300) for a five piece band + the benefits. That's a great deal for a small provincial town. The earnings are up for a new band on only it's second gig, mainly because the other band menbers are well known area muso's. The band's only playing a 1 hour 20 mins set with our singer & keyboard player doing a 30 min warm up slot earlier in the evening. We're finished on stage by 11:45. Over 500 tickets sold so should be a lively night!

Thaard

Platinum Member
I´ll be working very hard to get drunk before midnight. Thinking I´ll start off with some Newcastle Brown Ale and then hit the Vodka later on. I´ll work on my staggering to the toilet and shambling-technique. Of course most fireworks have been banned here in Norway, so the night will be pretty boring anyway. At least I´ll be meeting my friends again.

In other words, gig´ing on New Years Eve sounds awesome, and I´m a bit jealous :p.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
This is one year I am not playing... Instead I am teching for 80's one hit wonders Boys Don't Cry in Hollywood....

eh, either way I am getting paid to get drunk right?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Funny you should ask Doggie..........anyone that has followed my time on this forum will know that I haven't played live for about 5 years. BUT, this new years eve, we've managed to follow the 'Blues Brothers' and 'get the band back together'!!

We'll be playing at a friends party (free of charge of course....so not sure it actually counts in the true spirit of your thread), but nonetheless, I will be playing live this NY eve. We've agreed to about 20 songs with several members of one of my old cover bands. First time I've played with these guys in several years........we've done a couple of rehearsals and we're all feeling somewhat confident, but you never know?!?!?!

Best of luck to you all who have actually secured 'real work' this holiday season.

Cheers.

timmdrum

Silver Member
My 4-piece cover band is playing. $700 with a $100 bar/food tab. It's the lowest-paying NYE gig I've had. Sign o'the times.

yesdog

Silver Member
Funny you should ask Doggie..........anyone that has followed my time on this forum will know that I haven't played live for about 5 years. BUT, this new years eve, we've managed to follow the 'Blues Brothers' and 'get the band back together'!!

We'll be playing at a friends party (free of charge of course....so not sure it actually counts in the true spirit of your thread), but nonetheless, I will be playing live this NY eve. We've agreed to about 20 songs with several members of one of my old cover bands. First time I've played with these guys in several years........we've done a couple of rehearsals and we're all feeling somewhat confident, but you never know?!?!?!

Best of luck to you all who have actually secured 'real work' this holiday season.

Cheers.
I watched the Blues Brothers last night. You will do great. Glad to here that you are playing. Have a great time. Remember don't drink and drum lol.

jon e rotten

Last year I played a job about 2 minutes from my house. All my friends were there, and I walked away with $650 and feeling great. This year.....nuthin.....no gig...no band...nuthin.