New walnut snare

motleyh

Thought I might show this one off a little. It's a steambent solid walnut, 6.5 x 14, with inlay, diecasts, R4 strainer, solid brass lug posts. I've been doing so much walnut lately, I thought I should make one to keep around.

For those of you planning to attend the Chicago Drum Show on May 21-22, this snare and a bunch of others will be at booth #111 -- please come by and say hi. It's always cool to meet the faces behind the avatars. :)

Attachments

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Now that is one stunning looking snare! Beautiful finish with the inlay, R4, my favourite off the shelf strainer, & cast hoops to control that little bit of liveliness you get with a steambent & rerings. Nice deep warm walnut sound & the crispness associated with a lovingly crafted drum. Absolutely one of the best feature combo snares I've seen on Drummerworld. Kudos to you for the mastery of your craft!

S

sticks4drums

That is beautiful. I love Walnut. Best sounding wood for drums in my humble opinion. How much does something like that go for.

cdrums21

Gold Member
Another beautiful drum Jeff. I can't wait to get my hands on my 6.5x14 stave bubinga snare of yours. That baby's gonna rock!

RobertM

Platinum Member
That is beautiful. I love Walnut. Best sounding wood for drums in my humble opinion. How much does something like that go for.
Jeff's prices are reasonable for the work he does. I believe they range from $400 to $800, depending on ply vs. solid, finish, etc. I'm planning to get one of his snares soon--either canarywood or walnut.

S

sticks4drums

Well, I will have one just like this with black chrome hardware one day. I love the look of the steam bent compared to the stave because of the consistent grain pattern around the drum. I really can't figure out why Mapex is the only one using Walnut in their drums. I just love the sound.

RobertM

Platinum Member
Well, I will have one just like this with black chrome hardware one day. I love the look of the steam bent compared to the stave because of the consistent grain pattern around the drum. I really can't figure out why Mapex is the only one using Walnut in their drums. I just love the sound.
Last I heard, Andy@Massmusic, a member of this forum, was in China on business and trying to convince KHS/Mapex to make him a ply kit out of walnut.

This is what Mapex should offer: the "Mapex Nova" (playing off of their penchant for cosmic terminology), a 6-ply kit made entirely out of walnut.

S

sticks4drums

Last I heard, Andy@Massmusic, a member of this forum, was in China on business and trying to convince KHS/Mapex to make him a ply kit out of walnut.

This is what Mapex should offer: the "Mapex Nova" (playing off of their penchant for cosmic terminology), a 6-ply kit made entirely out of walnut.
They have had all Walnut in the past. They had a Deep Woods Walnut kit. I really like the maple along with the Walnut for a bit of brightness. Walnut on its own can be a bit dry. I think they have the perfect combo with the Saturn.

Every six months Mapex is now bringing out a new Black Panther kit. This January was the Blaster kit which is a maple shell with Walnut re-rings. In the summer it is going to be the Velvetone. A maple/walnut/maple shell. They are making these kits to copy all the new Black Panther snare drums that came out last year. They have a Retrosonic snare in that line which is an all Walnut snare. It will be interesting to see if they come out with a full kit to match. I am waiting to see what that sounds like.

RobertM

Platinum Member
They have had all Walnut in the past. They had a Deep Woods Walnut kit. I really like the maple along with the Walnut for a bit of brightness. Walnut on its own can be a bit dry. I think they have the perfect combo with the Saturn.

Every six months Mapex is now bringing out a new Black Panther kit. This January was the Blaster kit which is a maple shell with Walnut re-rings. In the summer it is going to be the Velvetone. A maple/walnut/maple shell. They are making these kits to copy all the new Black Panther snare drums that came out last year. They have a Retrosonic snare in that line which is an all Walnut snare. It will be interesting to see if they come out with a full kit to match. I am waiting to see what that sounds like.
Yeah, but my problem with the Blaster and Velvetone is the lack of availability and personal selection. The Blaster actually sounds like a good jazz kit idea: the bearing edges are 5:5, rounded with the rering, which would potentially give the toms a nice, full tone. However, from what I've seen online, you can only get the kit is some stupid 22/16/14/12/10 setup, even though the Mapex site states that other sizes are available. But not even their web site lists the other size options.

I'd like to hear a 18/14/12 Blaster kit--and be able to easily locate the option for such a kit online.

S

sticks4drums

Yeah, but my problem with the Blaster and Velvetone is the lack of availability and personal selection. The Blaster actually sounds like a good jazz kit idea: the bearing edges are 5:5, rounded with the rering, which would potentially give the toms a nice, full tone. However, from what I've seen online, you can only get the kit is some stupid 22/16/14/12/10 setup, even though the Mapex site states that other sizes are available. But not even their web site lists the other size options.

I'd like to hear a 18/14/12 Blaster kit--and be able to easily locate the option for such a kit online.
To be honest with you I think they are trying to replace the Orion with a new top of the line kit. They are building all of these Black Panther kits to see which one is the most popular. Once they figure that out, they will offer all sizes in a custom order config. Just like the Orions. I really think the Velvetones will be the new top of the line kit when all is said and done. They have both of there signature woods involved, and the burl maple outer finish that so many Mapex fans love. If I can get that kit in a red burl maple with the sizes I want, it would probably be my next kit to go along with the Saturns.

Manicoti

Check out the Carolina Drumworks website, all of his snares are that nice!!

I have one and it is THE gem of my arsenal of 40 snares! Easily the best price to quality ratio out there.

daredrummer

Gold Member
Better say goodbye to your family and friends because it's only a matter of time till I kill you and steal the snare. :p

Do you sell these? If so how much?

braincramp

Gold Member
Love walnut snares and this is a beauty!!! hey Jeff I would be more then happy to put a "I play Carolina Drumworks snares" on my bass drum if you sent me the sticker.......and this snare : ) great work..will check out your site!!

cdrums21

Gold Member
I love the look of the steam bent compared to the stave because of the consistent grain pattern around the drum.
Jeff sent me an update and a photo of my stave shell just after its construction and it looks like a solid piece of steambent wood. It's gorgeous and I've seen some of his finished stave snares and they are simply beautiful. He was kind enough to really listen to my requests about what I wanted in a snare and we talked back and forth before we decided upon the stave bubinga shell. I'm really excited about it and hopefully I'll have it in about 6 weeks or so. Walnut was mentioned early on, but he felt for what I was looking for, the stave bubinga shell would be perfect.

Manicoti

Love walnut snares and this is a beauty!!! hey Jeff I would be more then happy to put a "I play Carolina Drumworks snares" on my bass drum if you sent me the sticker.......and this snare : ) great work..will check out your site!!
I would stick a CDW decal on my bass drum in a heartbeat! From what i remember, he doesn't have any at the moment

motleyh

Hey, thanks, guys, for all the kind words!

And Mark, there'll be a couple of stickers enclosed in the box when the current build is finished and shipped to you. :)

For those who asked about prices, each drum is priced individually but most of them do fall in the range that was mentioned in RobertM's post. For any specific question, feel free to PM me or shoot an email to jeff@carolinadrumworks.com.