New Video Series About Weird Sounds

the gayge

So, I'm trying to get a little semi-instructional video series started about creating interesting sounds on the drum set. I posted the first one today. It's pretty long, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Outsourcing

the gayge

Hey guys, I'm definitely looking for suggestions. If anything was awful or unwatchable about the video, please let me know. Never tried anything like this before.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Nothing awful at all. This is a great idea to show people who are not aware of experimenting with their instruments. As a big fan of odd sounds I will keep an eye on this. The video was a little long but detailed. The only thing I would recommend is better recording equipment. From my experience lots of odd sounds created at the kit only come through to an audience when mic'd properly. A good set of overheads would work wonders. Close mic if need be. Keep it up and I will be awaiting the next installment.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I know the tube tuning thing well enough but, like INAC, I like your concept and will keep an eye out for future vids.

Having a tube in your mouth is not a good lock when playing, though. With a lack of pride and hygiene, lots of baked beans and superhuman bodily control there could be a less visually obvious approach ...

the gayge

Having a tube in your mouth is not a good lock when playing, though. With a lack of pride and hygiene, lots of baked beans and superhuman bodily control there could be a less visually obvious approach ...
Hahaha!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm really hoping I can swing some nicer recording equipment soon. Unfortunately, my budget is super tight after just finishing a big move today, coupled with gearing up for a two week tour at the end of this month.

Soon though!

the gayge

Hey guys, just put together an updated MUCH SHORTER version of this clip. Take a look if you got a few minutes and let me know what you think!

Outsourcing Ep. 1 - Edited Down

Also, I'm really trying to boost my social networking stuff, so please like the Drum Gear Review Facebook page too. I try to share a lot of contests, giveaways and interesting videos in addition to my own postings.

Thanks!

zap1789

Interesting concept, I look forward to seeing more.

The edited down version is pretty spot on as far as length goes in my opinion.
Having said that, I think it would be cool to do two or three different techniques per episode.