New Tama Star finish.

mike d

Silver Member
Is this a nice finish or what?
It makes me want to sell my Smokey Indigo Burst B/B kit and but one of these?
:(

TW42RZS_AIJB.jpg

I fell for this finish the minute I set eyes on it. Took delivery on a kit last week (pics from the shop). The snare in particular sounds so good.

Attachments

• 9963CFDA-01F7-4FEC-899F-708A127A0EBF.jpeg
    9963CFDA-01F7-4FEC-899F-708A127A0EBF.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 342
  • 4BE6BDA8-820C-4AA1-85FE-8B12EE0B2609.jpeg
    4BE6BDA8-820C-4AA1-85FE-8B12EE0B2609.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 364
The Star Walnut series... inner plies of Walnut (5 for BD, 4 for others) + 2 outer plies of Japanese Sen.

Beautiful finish and kit. Great NDD.

Those wide grain wood finishes do not look as good to me as some of the more narrow grain finishes. They look too much like construction plywood to me. I like the colors and how they are done.
I'm not sure what Japanese Sen. is? Help this old man out.

So now I find this.

Sen is an asian wood very similar in looks and appearance to ash. My experience is it can be lighter or heavier. Can have nice grain. Usually not used on the top-line guitars because of the snob appeal of ash, mainly.

Those wide grain wood finishes do not look as good to me as some of the more narrow grain finishes. They look too much like construction plywood to me. I like the colors and how they are done.
I'm not sure what Japanese Sen. is? Help this old man out.

So now I find this.

Sen is an asian wood very similar in looks and appearance to ash. My experience is it can be lighter or heavier. Can have nice grain. Usually not used on the top-line guitars because of the snob appeal of ash, mainly.

My buddy agrees with you. He dislikes the finish. Thinks I’m nuts putting my Star bubinga up for sale so I can get this walnut one. All I can say is that this finish speaks to me and is worth letting the bubinga go to get it (still have a bubinga Select kit that isn’t going anywhere). My initial impression is that the bubinga Star sounds richer, snare excepted, but I still have these gawdawful coated stock heads on the walnut. Looking forward to clear 2-plies on the tom heads soon.

Personal taste.

I appreciate more involved stuff in furniture, but for musical instruments I like it plain, even just black or white.

Personal taste.

I appreciate more involved stuff in furniture, but for musical instruments I like it plain, even just black or white.

I'm the same, don't like much burst and fades, this new colour is really nice though with great wood lines. I'm not sure about bass drum hoops, they seem much darker are they ?

I thought drum shells were PLYWOOD!

lol

(you are right though they do kinda have that appearance..)

I knew there had to be one and was the reason I added the word construction.....but they are Tama so maybe they are construction grade. 8+)

Nice finish sort of reminds me of Yamaha PHX Ash Gold Sapphire Fade,except different grain.

I think it's basically a 2 ply cosmetic finish over maple, and I love what I've seen of it, as done by Tama. Japanese sen varies greatly, as can be seen here.
Tama, in my experience, uses the prettiest woods and does the nicest finishes. My relatively inexpensive B/B Smokey Indigo Burst kit still blows me away every time I look at it for it's amazing finish and the flawless wood grain visible on every drum. It really is flawless. It makes me paranoid to ever buy another kit, because I'm afraid I would be disappointed.
;)

My buddy agrees with you. He dislikes the finish. Thinks I’m nuts putting my Star bubinga up for sale so I can get this walnut one. All I can say is that this finish speaks to me and is worth letting the bubinga go to get it (still have a bubinga Select kit that isn’t going anywhere). My initial impression is that the bubinga Star sounds richer, snare excepted, but I still have these gawdawful coated stock heads on the walnut. Looking forward to clear 2-plies on the tom heads soon.

What finish is your Star Bubinga kit?

I just with there were more Tama STAR drums available on showroom floors. Most places have the walnut versions which are priced lower.

What finish is your Star Bubinga kit?

Dark green cordia. You can see how dark the finish is in shade lighting conditions in my ad in the classified section of this forum. You need very bright conditions for the beauty of the cordia to come through. The inside of those shells is more appealing to me than the exterior.

I fell for this finish the minute I set eyes on it. Took delivery on a kit last week (pics from the shop). The snare in particular sounds so good.
So what snare will you use? The matching Maple or that awesome Star Reserve Copper? I think the copper would look great with that kit. ;)

Back