New Speed King Pedal still squeaks!

Totigerus

I played one today and even though it is lighting fast compared to every other pedal I've tried (ties with old Tama 6730 Flexi Flyer at least speed/lightness-wise) IT STILL SQUEAKED!!!! o_O🥵

I have a vintage SK here. It's been on loan to me for three days now. This one is un-restored so it is slow and loud.

I'm actually liking the geometry of it though. I'll spend a few more days with it, then try a new one, before deciding if I want to buy the new speedking.

my Speed King is outlasting my DW pedal.
Pedals with roller bearings in them eventually wear and start to "clack" - on after beat when you hit/pedal a beat
So will be replacing a bearing in an early bot new 90s DW and the Speed King - new from the early 70s is winning the endurance.
This wasn't on my bingo card but that's how it stands atm.

not looking forward to kicking the bearing out of the left DW post top but the parts are on order...

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the new issue Speed Kings, but on the original ones, the heel plate hinge was where the mysterious squeak would often be coming from. I would use a good quality lube (Tri-Flow is my personal favorite. Don't use WD-40; that will "gunk up" over time and attract dirt). Spray the heel plate hinge liberally and work the pedal. Also, don't forget about where the metal "hook" (that connects the footboard to the rest of the pedal) is connected to the chassis right near the beater clamp (it's attached with a rivet). Spray some lube on either side of that rivet and work the hook back and forth by hand. If you do these two things, I am 99.9% sure your squeaks will be gone.

I'm not sure about the new issue Speed Kings, but on the original ones, the heel plate hinge was where the mysterious squeak would often be coming from. I would use a good quality lube (Tri-Flow is my personal favorite. Don't use WD-40; that will "gunk up" over time and attract dirt). Spray the heel plate hinge liberally and work the pedal. Also, don't forget about where the metal "hook" (that connects the footboard to the rest of the pedal) is connected to the chassis right near the beater clamp (it's attached with a rivet). Spray some lube on either side of that rivet and work the hook back and forth by hand. If you do these two things, I am 99.9% sure your squeaks will be gone.
It's easier to complain!

the squeak is patented....no squeak? Not a Speed King

I still have, and use, my dads from the 50's...same squeak

I've never figured out how anyone can hear the squeak above the band, anyway, lol.

i have heard you can hear it on famous recordings....some Zeppelin ones come to mind. I am goign to relisten to my old Brubeck albums and see if I can hear it there too

i have heard you can hear it on famous recordings....some Zeppelin ones come to mind. I am goign to relisten to my old Brubeck albums and see if I can hear it there too
I've listened to the Zeppelin ones that are cited. I can't really hear it, but I'm sure some can.

A bit off topic but the squeakiest squeak that ever did squeak is clearly audible in Brother Jack McDuff’s Jive Samba, where I think Joe Dukes really needed to oil his hihat stand. Start around 2:30 for the drum solo:

Just bought one today. Mine squeaks too. I oiled the friction points and that quieted it a lot.

Can't hear it with the headphones on and music playing. At this point, to me, it's a non-issue.

Now if you record with a mic on the kick batter, you might want to consider it.

Back