New Sonor Safari in RED

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I find it a little ironic that Sonor would crank out a kit for the US market that kinda' kills US sales of their Jungle kits. It's a shame that Safari kits are so hard to get overseas, otherwise, forcing everyone else to buy a Jungle kit at over twice the price without a snare.

Toolate

Platinum Member
16" kick? Only for jazz or small gigs tho right? theres no way that thing competes with a 22 right- I mean in volume and punch/low end feel?

Not trying to start a big debate or whatever, anyone have a good soundquality video of these in action? I want one (really bad and now even more thanks BO) for practice and the price is soooo good but would like to know what I am getting into.

Anyone? Great looking kit.

Soupy

Silver Member
Looks like the Bop set with the 18" kick is also available in red sparkle.

If they had them in this color when they first came out, I'd probably have one of each.

OrangeAgent27

Silver Member
16" kick? Only for jazz or small gigs tho right? theres no way that thing competes with a 22 right- I mean in volume and punch/low end feel?

Not trying to start a big debate or whatever, anyone have a good soundquality video of these in action? I want one (really bad and now even more thanks BO) for practice and the price is soooo good but would like to know what I am getting into.

There was a video floating around here of a young Chinaman playing one. Sounded great!

Toolate

Platinum Member
Just looked on youtube to see you playing that kit BO- I thought that had an 18" kick though? The one you play in your video (dark silver)..

wildbill

Platinum Member

Spend just a couple bucks more and get the Bop kit with the 18" kick.

I don't have that specific kit, but have had three 18" kicks, and they rock. Tried a 16" and didn't care for it at all.

No - an 18" won't sound like a 22" in volume or pitch. But punch - that's another story.

The Bop kit also has 12x8 and 14x14 toms, compared to the Safari's 10x8 and 14x12.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I've had both the Safari and the Bop, and they were both lovely little kits. In hindsight though, my thoughts on the 16 vs 18 debate is this: if you're going to go small, then go small. The funny thing about the Bop, is that it doesn't come with a lift, but the Safari does. With the lift, your bass drum beater is hitting dead-center and the bass drum is just easier to get a good sound out of it. With the Bop, your beater will be hitting a few inches off center, and you don't get that nice solid, "whump". Of course, you could install a third-party lift to the drum, but I'm talking in terms of out-of-the-box playability. The Safari gets my recommendation for better bang-for-your-buck if you're in the market for one of these little kits. It's cheaper and easier to transport around and just plain fun to play.

Sometimes I think when people marry themselves to the 18" bass drum, they tend to want to make it work for everything, and it doesn't work for everything. My attitude about the Safari and the 16 right off the bat was that I knew it wouldn't work for everything, which is why I have my big kit anyway. But it was surprising to see the Safari work for many different things while I owned one. Bobdadruma even has one and uses his extensively. But it's all about having the right tools for the job at hand, so that's how I viewed the Safari - a tool. Now it comes in red sparkle too - although I no longer own one, I still recommend it to others.

Somebody said they're offering the Bop in red sparkle also. What I would do, is get both of them and make a nice little double bass bop kit out of it. How cool would that be? Or get two of one if you like the same size bass drums. Imagine that - an entire double bass kit you could fit in a Fiat 500!

Toolate

Platinum Member
Those kits are so small that I wouldnt have a problem moving either and, if I ever played out, I am pretty sure I would take a larger setup so that adds to your point about using hte right tool for the job.

Thanks for the insight on the small kicks- your opinion has a lot of value to me. Much appreciated.

THey just look like so much fun to have around. Genius marketing and pricing. Think I would have to go for the bop kit since it would be tiny for me. Especially considering I am 6 ' 3" and it would sit next to my gretsch with the 26" kick and 18" FT..

wildbill

Platinum Member
....Sometimes I think when people marry themselves to the 18" bass drum, they tend to want to make it work for everything, and it doesn't work for everything...

I'm 'married' to my 20" bass drum.

The 18's are my mistresses, and the 22's and larger are my ex's. (they all live in Texas - ha ha).

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I'm 'married' to my 20" bass drum.

The 18's are my mistresses, and the 22's and larger are my ex's. (they all live in Texas - ha ha).
I was married to my 20" as well, but for some reason I went back to a 16x22 and I love it. The fact that I can walk into any music store in the country and find a selection of different heads for it was another factor for going back to the 22. Any other size means less selection, if they have them at all. Even here in California!

wildbill

Platinum Member
I was married to my 20" as well, but for some reason I went back to a 16x22 and I love it. The fact that I can walk into any music store in the country and find a selection of different heads for it was another factor for going back to the 22. Any other size means less selection, if they have them at all. Even here in California!
Yep - a 22"s got definite advantages. They're the most popular and common by far. So like you said, when you need heads, or other parts for that matter, they're easier to find.
More volume and lower tuning ranges too.

Still - I'm happy with the trade-offs.