New snare makes me dizzy

J

JohnoWorld

Just bought a pork pie 13x7 brass snare second hand. About 10 years old

I love the sound and how it plays but maaaan it is sooo freakin LOUD

I play through mics and shure 535IEMs and so the sound is contained but somehow it's making me dizzy. I can feel it more than I can hear it and so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I'm not playing any differently, in fact I'm hitting softer but somehow the massive wall of sound from rim shots feels like it's physically injuring me. I have it tuned fairly high at the moment but I've never had this from any other of the tons of snares I've owned over the years

Weird

I don't own one but maybe it's hitting a frequency that your body can't handle - like when you're at a concert and the lows coming out of the subs make people vomit.

if it hurts, most probably it's because it's too loud.. maybe try to lend some hearing protections like the peltors and see if that stops. Be careful of what people says here about hearing damage because it's a very complex topic and many don't have the expertise or the understanding (I don't mean it personal, just that there is a lot of ignorance towards this specific topic).
If you continue to have pain for days after you drum, go to a doctor..

I can't say you what you have, but I hope it still helps.

I don't own one but maybe it's hitting a frequency that your body can't handle - like when you're at a concert and the lows coming out of the subs make people vomit.

that's also true. I have such stuff very often because I have oversensitive ears. sirenes, buzzes, loud noises, certain frequencies, etc can literally make me scream of pain or cause me headaches for days...

I had a very heavy solid cast steel Gretsch snare drum that I found too loud too. I sold it.

that's also true. I have such stuff very often because I have oversensitive ears. sirenes, buzzes, loud noises, certain frequencies, etc can literally make me scream of pain or cause me headaches for days...

I definitely have sensory issues when it comes to sounds. Certain humming or buzzing sounds can make me nauseous and give me vertigo if I don't block it or get away from it.

Thanks for your comments guys, good job I only paid 135 quid for it

Gonna tune it down and put an o ring on it, see if that helps. Got a remo cs on it already and it's like a cannon. Maybe stick to the maple for practicing :)

I definitely have sensory issues when it comes to sounds. Certain humming or buzzing sounds can make me nauseous and give me vertigo if I don't block it or get away from it.

Maybe it sits in a frequency that I'm sensitive to, and it was vertigo that I was feeling

I have four brass snares and with single ply heads cranked up they are deafening. That said, some times you need that. Using one in a low to medium volume setting they can be a bit much, but when you need one, you can count on that back beat cutting through.

I always use ear protection to save what little hearing I have left.

I own DW Collector's Series Brass and Bell Bronze snare drums, and while I don't experience any dizziness playing them, hearing protection is not optional. They are by far the loudest drums I have experienced.

I couldn't imagine playing without hearing protection. My favorite kit right now is my Ludwig vistalite. That, and all my ride (crashes) are crazy loud. Occasionally, I'll take off the muffs for a minute to gauge volume... Then my ears ring all night.

Back