New set, old hobby, need some help

Ok, so I have played for years on an old Ludwig kit. I got it in the 80's and it was old then.

I recently joined a band and decided it was time for a new kit. I got a Sonor Phil Rudd edition kit. 13, 16, 18 with a 22 kick.

I upgraded my pedal to a DW3000 single kick.

Well, here is my question. First, I have heard, the stock heads should be replaced. The last time I bought new heads I got some Remo coated. But, my old set only have one set of heads (tops only).

Do I need to replace the tops and the bottoms?
We are a rock band, any suggestions on type of head to get?

Here is a link to to what I upgraded from: Notice that DW double kick pedal?

https://picasaweb.google.com/Dieselssturgispics/Drums#

I am still using my old rogers snare for now.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Stock heads are usually pretty mediocre. You'll get better performance and sounds out of your new kit if you replace them - top and bottom.

Rock drummers typically (but not always) use 2-ply heads on top (Remo Emperor or Evans G2 either coated or clear), and single-ply on the bottom (Remo Ambassador or Evans G1). Most people use clear on the bottom, but it just depends on what you like. I have coated Ambassador heads on the bottoms of my toms, but in the past they've always been clear. I don't think I have a preference - maybe clear since the have less effect on the sound.

I'd recommend a Remo PS3 for the kick. Those are my preferred kick head, but others have their faves, too.

There are other perfectly good head makers other than Remo and Evans (Aquarian, for example), but I'm not familiar with them enough to speak intelligently about them. Even withing Remo and Evans there are many other head types like Pinstripes, Fiberskyns, EC1 and EC2 (discontinued), etc., but I like plain old single-ply or double-ply heads myself.

Skwerly

Stock heads are usually pretty mediocre. You'll get better performance and sounds out of your new kit if you replace them - top and bottom.

Rock drummers typically (but not always) use 2-ply heads on top (Remo Emperor or Evans G2 either coated or clear), and single-ply on the bottom (Remo Ambassador or Evans G1). Most people use clear on the bottom, but it just depends on what you like. I have coated Ambassador heads on the bottoms of my toms, but in the past they've always been clear. I don't think I have a preference - maybe clear since the have less effect on the sound.

I'd recommend a Remo PS3 for the kick. Those are my favorite, but others have their faves, too.

There are other perfectly good head makers other than Remo and Evans (Aquarian, for example), but I'm not familiar with them enough to speak intelligently about them. Even withing Remo and Evans there are many other head types like Pinstripes, Fiberskyns, EC1 and EC2 (discontinued), etc., but I like plain old single-ply or double-ply heads myself.
That's it in a nutshell! Welcome back to the world of drumming, man. :)

I kept up with my rudiments...Dan Tomlinson was my teacher for years...

I think I am going to replace the tops for now and the kick. I am hopeful that the this kick sounds like my old 24...that thing was boss. The heads that came on it were remo of some sort.

These new Sonors seem to be pretty cool. can't wait to actually hit them around.