New Rogers Snare Drums.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Yamaha does not own Rogers.

No.
Do you know who owns them now? On the Rogers website there’s timeline of ownership of the assets that ends with Yamaha in 2006, then skips to 2017 saying Rogers is reborn. It doesn’t say by whom. Just curious about how the reissues came to be.

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
Yamaha …. quietly put it to bed . then sold it.

Currently part of the Reliance Musical Instrument Co. family of companies. No one knows the price... but it was probably for pennies after Yamaha was done with it.

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
The drums are of excellent quality. The raw shells, are prepped for hardware, edges, wraps, lacquers, and built up at the Pork Pie Facility under the guidance of Bill Detamore. The build quality is impeccable. The drums are absolutely fantastic.

I own two 1960s wood drums, three 1980s Dyna-Sonic XP10, and five 1980s XP10 SuperTen wood drums. Several seven line COB drums, and several from the Big R period... twenty-three Dyna-Sonics in total, including four of the new drums.

These new drums are as good... and even better …. than anything produced by Rogers at any time from 1961-84. They have nothing to apologize for, nor be ashamed or be seen as reaching above their means. They are genuinely real, Rogers Drums. They will be successful.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Hmmm...the Reliance acquisition must be so new they haven't had time to update their web site. Reliance = Dixon. No mention of the Rogers brand.

But it's not new. I found posts on other forums going back to 2013 on the Dixon/ Rogers connection. I saw some old posts explaining Rogers is managed by the Dixon arm of Reliance. So it's Reliance/Dixon/Rogers. I don't see the "Dixon" mentioned anywhere in this thread. If I missed it here, I apologize.

You also have the Dixon/ Joseph Chen connection. It looks to me, following the ownership, that the new Rogers shells are made in Asia alongside the Gretsch, Ludwig, etc. mid-range Gretsch et al (ex: Renown) and then maybe assembled by Pork Pie? It's all very confusing.

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
They are built here … Parts come, drums are built. Edges cut, wrap applied, lacquers applied, holes are drilled. Parts are installed, Heads put on, tuned, boxed, and shipped. Here. Shells are pretty nice. Buy one. Take it apart.

Attachments

IBitePrettyHard

They are built here … Parts come, drums are built. Edges cut, wrap applied, lacquers applied, holes are drilled. Parts are installed, Heads put on, tuned, boxed, and shipped. Here. Shells are pretty nice. Buy one. Take it apart.
Not gonna lie, those are some sweet bearing edges...and the interior looks nice too.

Juniper

Gold Member
I've played three new snares recently.

Absolutely loved the 14x5 as it was crisp and sensitive and had a great tone. I loved it. I wasn't that keen on the 14x6.5 though, didn't quite do it for me.

The 14x5 is a lovely drum.

Both are nearly £1,000 each over here (same price for both models despite the size differences) so I'll not be getting one any time soon.

Need to be cheaper.

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
I can hear a difference.
Absolutely. Of course you can. I have two drums made on the same day, same size, serial numbers are sequential. Same heads, same tuning, and anyone can hear a difference. I have also played Dyna-Sonics for 40 years.

I get it that some people don't like the drum. It isn't made in Covington. It isn't the old Rogers. All of the stuff on it was made in Taiwan. The company is not "MAGA" USA based. The price is too high.... (however, when this comes from someone who would never pay that for anything... the comment is irrelevant, that person is just cheap.. in my opinion.). The badge is in the wrong panel. The inner ply is poplar. It isn't an exact reproduction.

Welcome to 2019. The alternative would have been the crap Yamaha built.

Get one of the old ones.

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
Thank You, I don't rubbish Drum Brands but it should be stated where and how they " fit in " .. and what they are. I get the badge is on the another panel to stop forgers and all that, you've answered my question. they are another entity. I have old ones.https://youtu.be/7Lc86JUAwwg

Morrisman

Platinum Member
There’s one available in my local Australian shop now. Price is slightly higher than a Ludwig Black Beauty.

Twice the price of most high end maple snares around here. (Yamaha, Ludwig, Gretsch, etc.)

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
There’s one available in my local Australian shop now. Price is slightly higher than a Ludwig Black Beauty.

Twice the price of most high end maple snares around here. (Yamaha, Ludwig, Gretsch, etc.)
That stuff at half the price isn't high end. I don't care whose name is on it.

Icetech

Gold Member
$800 is expensive to me (I'm cheap) But i don't think the drum is over-priced, it's on my list of one day purchases :) I mean look around at other snares they are all around the same price and i will take the rogers snare setup over anything else.. i have the rogers bug..

What about the elephant in the room? The price?

$800 is steep.

The snare looks and sounds nice, but even if the components are 'new and improved', I don't see what makes this an $800 snare. The components are unique...but even if it's made in America, it couldn't possibly cost them more than $300 to make.

It seems like a Nostalgia Tax to me.

They're obviously not targeting a new audience with that price. It just seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Or maybe I'm just way off, and appealing to people who grew up playing Rogers drums (who now have lots of disposable income) is a brilliant idea.

Fritz Frigursson

So in Europe they cost 899 euros which is about 1005 bucks. That's the exact same price as a new Black Beauty 14x5 so I'd say it isn't overpriced especially considering how good it sounds. But the 14x5 Supraphonic costs 300 euros less and there isn't really a "300 dollar difference" between those snares. So I would just pick one of those up.

IBitePrettyHard

So in Europe they cost 899 euros which is about 1005 bucks. That's the exact same price as a new Black Beauty 14x5 so I'd say it isn't overpriced especially considering how good it sounds.
The Black Beauty is also overpriced though. Ludwig knows they can charge more because that snare is so iconic.

Honestly the Supraphonic is a little overpriced as well. Competing brands only charge maybe $350-400 for similar versions. Granted, many would argue (including me) that they don't sound as good as the real thing.

Ludwig charges a premium for their most famous snares because they know they can get away with it.