New Pearl Masters Maple Gum Video Review

IBitePrettyHard

That is probably the best sounding Pearl kit I've ever heard!

They have a surprisingly LOW tone that shouldn't even be possible in those sizes. Warm and round and punchy and articulate and resonant...all at the same time.

Am I crazy?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
you are not crazy, but that recording is way over EQ'd. I wish Shane would do more natural sounds with his presentations.

All_The_Drums

you are not crazy, but that recording is way over EQ'd. I wish Shane would do more natural sounds with his presentations.
With all due respect, you are completely wrong.
There is very little "EQ" in the full mix, mostly gating to eliminate some of the floor tom ring. The "overheads" mix and the "room mics" mix are clean - no "EQ".
The drums actually sound that good because we know how to properly tune, mic and mix a kit. We also do so without the luxury of decent pre-amps.

Last edited:

All_The_Drums

They have a surprisingly LOW tone that shouldn't even be possible in those sizes. Warm and round and punchy and articulate and resonant...all at the same time.

Am I crazy?
We agree, and you are not crazy. The combination of the thin Maple Gum shells and outer 60 degree edges allow for some pretty decent tuning range. Not sure if you made it through the whole video, but we also tuned them up pretty high in the second demo.

IBitePrettyHard

Not sure if you made it through the whole video, but we also tuned them up pretty high in the second demo.
Yep, I watched both tunings and they both sounded great!

My "low tone" comment was not about the low tuning specifically, but the low fundamental these drums have...even at higher tuning.

Drum kits rarely have a rich low fundamental like that, while also retaining their punch.

notvinnie

As soon as Pearl develops a new tom mount that doesn't look like plumbing, I'll consider them.
They sound pretty good though, I'll give them that.

TK-421

I got to hit a few of these kits at NAMM, and I don't remember them sounding this deep and full. They sounded great, very much like USA Customs, but the kit in this video just sounds absolutely massive!

That gives me an idea for a comparison video: Gretsch USA Custom vs. Pearl Masters Maple/Gum vs. DW Jazz. Call it "The Legend vs. the Copycats."

As a side note, whoever is playing on the higher tuning at the end of the video is definitely the best drummer @DCP. I've seen him in several videos now, and I've been impressed every time. He should do as many videos as you can get him to do.

Tamaefx

Silver Member

Am I crazy?

I feel the same ; perfect sound and beautiful kit.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I'm curious about how these feel under the sticks. I've owned a couple of pearl kits over the years and while they sounded good, i never liked the feel. They always felt harsh...like I was playing on a hard practice pad. I'm currently playing a Gretsch USA set and they feel great under the sticks despite having the stiff die cast hoops.

dwsabianguy

Man, those Pearls sound great. No wonder they're calling these the "studio" kit, even though I usually think of birch drums in regards to the same word.

But I did just pick up an actual (used) Gretsch USA Custom kit for like a seventh the cost of that new Pearl, and it came with an additional tom. That's an outlier of course, but I think I'd rather have the genuine article as well; something about the lack of lugs or something, they just seem more responsive. Pearl make about the sturdiest drum I've ever seen, but they've rarely made me feel anything in my heart when I play them, while my Gretsch gives me the warm fuzzies, and for 3400 bucks it better darn well give me some fuzzies. Who knows, maybe these are different in person.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I got to hit a few of these kits at NAMM, and I don't remember them sounding this deep and full.
NAMM is NOT the place to actually hear anything. Even in Pearl's room which is separate from everybody else, when there are people in there hitting things, you can't hear a thing! I got to visit during that artist hour before they open to the public, and with a few artists in there playing things, everything sounds the same. It's frustrating, but I just have to remind myself that NAMM isn't really for us to check out the new stuff - it's for the big companies to sell product to stock in the stores of the smaller companies. Just so long as I remember that, I'm content to be there ;)