New House and a New Band!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So over the last couple of weeks my time here has been sporadic, but I'm happy to report that the wife and I have sold our old home and moved into a brand new home that puts us about ten miles farther away from work in a different direction, but the house and location makes it all worth it.

During all this turmoil of packing the old house, on a whim I went out to an audition recommended by a distant friend, and I think this will be so fun. It ends up with the current culture of "tribute bands", one of my friends thought I'd be perfect for this, and there aren't a lot of tribute bands dedicated to this particular band, if any. I looked around and there aren't any. But I've just joined a Devo tribute band!

It was very funny because I made the phone call, and the guy running it told me they wanted to have auditions, but after talking over the phone, he got a good vibe and would decide if they wanted auditions after I got together with them. He said he was looking for more of a fan member, than a brilliant drummer, and he felt like he found that as we spoke over the phone.

I arrived at the guitar player's house with my Reference kit, and my IEM's and personal headphone amp, and they called Devo tunes for their set list of 20 or so songs, and thanks to my fore-sight bringing the IEM's, I nailed every sequence they had in their computer! I had so much fun having been a Devo fan since they debuted in 1977 (76?) I was definitely the first kid on my block to have their albums and I played to them constantly - who knew I'd actually get a chance to play this stuff live with a band? I really felt like I was 12 again.

It sounds like this might become a bigger thing - they had already been gigging without a drummer playing to their computer sequences and had been getting great response at the shows they were doing. They managed to hook up with another tribute band called "Dead Man's Party" (guess what they play). And that band has already opened for the actual B-52's - so add a Devo band and you have the making's of a classic 80s concert bill. I am SO looking forward to this.

I'm waiting for the guys to get me my first-ever yellow radiation suit and red energy dome (flower pot) hat!

And the house is great too ;

(So whip it....whip it good!)

AzHeat

Platinum Member
A new house, the mouse, a metal gig AND a Devo gig? Smack yourself and make sure you’re still alive! I’d be thinking I was dreaming or dead. I could make the house happen, but the others...not so much. It’s Free Bird or Mustang Sally around here!

Congrats!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
A new house, the mouse, a metal gig AND a Devo gig? Smack yourself and make sure you’re still alive! I’d be thinking I was dreaming or dead. I could make the house happen, but the others...not so much. It’s Free Bird or Mustang Sally around here!

Congrats!
Oh yeah - the metal band is fun, but it's not stuff I actively listened to as a kid. And I did get those guys to cut that inane Def Leppard tune Pour Some Sugar on Me. I wonder how the song became a hit - it doesn't even sound like it would fit in at a Def Leppard show. Kinda like how The Pretenders did Don't Get Me Wrong - that song doesn't belong in a Pretenders show, either!

We're still in the process of settling the house, so consequently I haven't played drums for two weeks since everything is in cases and spread all over the house. I swear I hate the moving process. Once my wife gets her kitchen to her liking, then everything else should happen pretty quick.

My cousin gave me her baby grand piano too. It's not new or beautiful, but it's a baby grand. So it's time to get my piano chops back up too.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
That's awesome, Bo, congratulations! A Devo tribute sounds like a blast.
If they can pull off Jocko Homo and Blockhead, my life will be complete. I think I feel like Josh Freese when he got to play with the real Devo. He said they were his musical heroes. Mine too.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Congrats! Devo music is deceptively difficult, IMO. I’m hoping you can provide a video of a gig in the future.