New Gretsch Catalina Birch vs Cat Maples?

sugarmaple

Has anyone played the new Birch Cats yet? I've looked endlessly for videos but no luck- I guess they're that new.
The Walnut Burst laquer finish just blows me away and is exactly what I'm looking for in appearance; however, am I just getting a kit because of how it looks? I prefer the Walnut over any of the higher end finishes. Are the new birch series different than the last go around?
And..the big question 30 degrees vs 45 degrees?

Here are the spec comparisons:

Catalina Birch *Catalina Maple

- 7ply birch 7mm 100% birch *6 ply tom/ 7ply bass maple

- 30 degree bearing edge *45 degree bearing edge

- 1.6 mm triple flanged hoop *2.5 triple flanged hoop

- mini suspension *GTS suspension

Attachments

A

audiotech

I never played a Catalina Maple, Birch or Ash, but the kit you have pictured has a fantastic looking finish. In general I love the quality of sound and looks of Gretsch drums.

Dennis

konaboy

Pioneer Member
I never played a Catalina Maple, Birch or Ash, but the kit you have pictured has a fantastic looking finish. In general I love the quality of sound and looks of Gretsch drums.

Dennis
Same here, that is an incredible looking finish!

pearlygates

Gold Member
The Gretsch CB has not hit the stores either online or local. I am hearing any day now!

I expect the new generation Cat birch to be a HUGE seller for Gretsch!

The merits of a 30 degree round over bearing edge will be apparent in the shell's initial attack (a little flatter attack as opposed to the standard 45s) as well as the overall warmth of the tone. The 30 degree edge is classic Gretsch.

I think these Cat birches will be awesome sounding kits!!
If I hadn't just bought a birch shell drum set, I would be seriously looking at one of these!