New Drummer looking for a drum set

fables429

Hello, I am 22 years old and I want to start the drums.

Should I just go all out and buy something like a starclassic performer b/b?

Or get something cheaper like this:

"A DDrum, and the model is Diatribe, cymbals are AAx stage ride, zildjian zht crash, hihat are paiste pst5 14", sabian b8 crash, sabian b8 splash, evans heads, aquarian on bass."

I can get the ddrum set used for around 750$ with hardware included.

toddy

Platinum Member
Buy second hand and get something that's in good condition. That way you can play drums and if you want to take it more seriously then you can always upgrade to something else if needed.

Homeularis

Gold Member
How much are you willing to spend, total?.

Drums. hardware, cymbals, throne etc...

Do you want protective bags or cases?.

fables429

How much are you willing to spend, total?.

Drums. hardware, cymbals, throne etc...

Do you want protective bags or cases?.

I am probably willing to spend around 2000$. I do not need cases/bags at least not right away.

I want to go more on the high end of drums, something that will last me a long long time. I know I am just starting but I would rather go big or go home.

I really want to learn, and even if I do end of selling them (not likely) I feel a higher end set would probably be easier to sell.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Tama Starclassic Performer B/B shells. I would just need to buy the hardware, cymbals, throne.

Is ebay or a store or both a good place to buy? Craigslist in my area does not have anything that is that high end. (at least so far).

Soupy

Silver Member
If you're just starting out, you've got to keep in mind, you just may not stick with it, and there's no point in having $2000 collecting dust in your basement. And on the other hand, if you do stick with drumming long term, then the first kit you buy certainly won't be the last kit you buy. So you'll end up upgrading eventually no matter what you buy now.

And right now, you don't even know what drums you like! What shells, what sizes, you really won't get a feel for what drums sound like until you can actually play them.

Buy used, buy cheap. You can do pretty good with $500 on Craigslist. And be patient in looking for the right kit. All you need to start lessons are a pair of sticks and a practice pad. You don't need to rush into a drum purchase either.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
As appealing as the high end kit seems to you right now it is wise not to buy a high end kit for your first kit.

There is always a chance that you won't stay with the drums.

As you get more into drumming you may find that the high end kit that you bought is no longer the one that you want.

You will always have a use for your first inexpensive kit as a practice kit that you can toss in the car and go.
No sense putting wear and tear on your expensive drums.

During the first few years of playing you will be at a level of play that will not demand a high end kit.

Soupy and toddy are right for telling you the same as I have.

Inexpensive drums play fine and they sound great.
I use three different inexpensive kits for different things that I do.
I leave my good kit at home for the most part.

fables429

Thanks for the replies.

So would that Ddrum Diatribe set I posted be worth a buy for $725, comes with hardware and the cymbals I posted.

Evilbagua

Silver Member

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So, with a budget of $2000, if you only spend $800 to get the drumset, that leaves you with $1200 for.....lessons! Maybe get some instructional DVDs, get phone numbers for the good teachers in your area and ring them up. Maybe right now you'd like weekly lessons, but you could certainly spread it out if weekly is too much.

Brain expansion would be a wise investment, eh?

Pkaneps

Even though I knew long before I got a kit that I'd stick with it (I was right) I still bought the cheapest thing I could that sounded ok. I got on craigslist and found a cheap PDP kit, went over to the guys house and played around a little, and I use that sucker for shows, and it sounds awesome (after some head/tuning experimentation). I spent like $150 on the kit and about $300 upgrading (heads, cymbals) and I'm really happy with it.

Honestly, I don't plan on buying another kit for a long time. I find very few kits (even higher end ones) that sound as good as mine to my ears, and that's really all the matters.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The kits from the 60s and 70s that I grew up with weren't made from fancy woods.
They had round bearing edges.
There was not much that was special about these drums.
They sound great to this day.

The main difference in a high end kit today is that it is made from a wood that is identified to the buyer.
The hardware is fancy.
The wrap or finish is high quality.

These high end drums tune and play only slightly better than a well made entry level kit.
The difference is so minor that only an experienced drummer can really tell the difference.
I often can't tell by sound and I have played several high end kits that I simply didn't like the sound of no matter how I tuned them.

Fuo

Platinum Member
imo buying drum gear is a skill in and of itself. No matter how many questions you ask here, before you buy, you'll probably still look back after a year or so, and regret some of the purchases. Better that it be on a good beginner/intermediate kit than a pro kit.

Well, regret is a strong word, but there are definitely things I would have done different.

Wick

For 2000, I would probably buy a low end Ludwig, with good hardware and cymbals.

For hardware: Tama stands. Pedal: DW. Cymbals: I would suggest buying cymbal sets, you can get some pretty nice deals with sets; Like Sabian XS, and Zildjian Avedis.

I would also suggest looking on craigslist for second hand as someone else said to do.

Homeularis

Gold Member
I could suggest all kinds of intermediate kits that you should look at but it sounds like you dig Ddrum, and thats good because I know that they make good drums but I pearsonally know very little about them.
I always say this but you should pick three brands that you like best, research their intermediate kits on their sites and Ebay and then search around on line and in stores for the right one. maybe its used, maybe not but theres a ton of money to be saved by buying a used kit with hardware and possibly even cymbals.

Now with that said, I would not go high end on drums because mid grade kits nowadays are VERY good, however, you should go high end on cymbals because the cheaper ones are not even close to as good as the good stuff and youll regret going cheap.
Also, use some money you saved on the kit to but some bags to store and move them in. I guarentee you wont regret that.

justadrummer

A lot of people gave good advice on here regarding kits. Buying a used can save you a ton, but it's difficult to buy used if you aren't sure what you are looking at.

What part of the world are you in?