New drummer in need of some advice

satanfx55

Hello drummers!

I am going to start off by apologizing for the long post.

I am 28 and have finally decided that drums are "my instrument." I come from a family with a large musical background. My mom and dad were both guitarist, and my dad played on a professional level. I started off with the obvious choice: guitar. It was an on again, off again relationship. I switched to keyboard/piano. Another on again, off again relationship. It wasn't until Rock Band came out that I really noticed drums as an instrument, and not just something in the background. After about 2 - 3 years of guitar hero/rock band, I decided that I wanted to try out the drums. I immediately skipped to "expert" difficulty. I didn't feel like I was playing the song if I wasn't playing on expert. I would play all the easy songs (even the ones I despised) so that I could learn techniques used in the more difficult songs. Pretty soon I was quite skilled at these plastic drums. I would sometimes spend up to 8 hours a day or more playing these toy drums. I began to associate colors with instruments on the drum set. After some researching online and an impulse buy at a music store, I was one drum set richer. My first kit was a Nighthawk by Gretsch acoustic kit. The day I bought it, I sat at that set for the entire day. I was in so much pain after I stopped playing (when the sun had gone down and the neighbors all wanted to sleep like normal people). All that was on my mind was this drum set. I eventually had to move from SC to NC and couldn't have my acoustic set in an apartment. I bought a pretty good Yamaha electric set (DTXtreme series) and spent quite some time with it. Although it is not the same thing as an acoustic set, I feel it can get the job done.

Now for the questions portion of this post. I am looking for some long time drummers to tell me that hard truth: Am I too old to start seriously learning drums? I know that this question is asked a lot and have read several threads on here about this very topic. My situation I feel is a little different however. I originally wanted to be a software developer, but I have a pretty debilitating anxiety disorder on top of other things. Right now I am unemployed and near disability status. I have nothing but time and need to find something to distract me! Please drummers, tell me how it is! I want to know, if I spend multiple hours a day (as many as my downstairs neighbor can handle), will I be able to "catch up" to some of my favorite drummers? (Brann Dailor of Mastodon, Neil from Rush, Martin Lopez from Opeth, and Danny Carey of Tool to name a few).

Right now, I can say my long term goal is to be someone who, if I could see my self in the future 5 - 10 years from now, would want my own autograph.

That's it! Thanks for reading my long post if you made it this far! If anyone has questions for me, I have answers!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I dont think the age is a factor. I played when young and started over 32 years later in my late 50's. You know music which will help, and I will suggest that you find a teacher if you can afford one. Learning a new craft takes time so one has to be patient and that is magnified maybe with the anxiety issue. Been there. But if you want to have fun, get a strong foundation, teacher, and try not to be Danny Carey over night. You may upset him. Good luck

AndyMC

You absolutely are not too old to get really good. And with a teacher and good practice habits you can get far in a few years, getting to top level pro might be harder, from my experience many pro drummers started drums either around 2,6, or 12. Those seem to be the magic times when kids start and it ingrains something in you. However there are so many factors and plenty of great drummers who started in their teens and 20s. This is one of those things where believing in yourself helps. Remember they're all human too so any technique can be learned, and if you can do it once with practice you can do it anytime.

Learn to love learning the drums, if the end goal is your only motivation you'll never get there.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
No, you are not too old. Yes, you should take lessons from a qualified drummer. Above all: have fun. Peace and goodwill.

Arky

Platinum Member
Hey satanfx55,
I can change your username to "santafx55" if you want to. Just tell me ;-)
[EDIT: I'm joking! Hahaha.]

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

satanfx55

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and encouraging words. I definitely wouldn't want to upset Danny Carey! He is like a gorilla!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If we all said, "yea, you're too old..."

Would you still play?

Thought so.

Do what makes you feel good, always.

Davo-London

Gold Member
You have something I'm jealous of ... time.

So, there's no excuse. Get a nice acoustic kit with the necessary damping according to you living arrangements, get a tutor amd get practicing.

Don't skimp anything. You have a realistic goal - it does take years.

Davo

alparrott

Platinum Member
Joe Morello didn't think there was such a thing as too old, I'm sure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CujyFrnsmGs

I'm sure there's something else you recently started learning to do, such as use a smartphone, learn a new process at work, learn a new recipe, learn a new bus route... were you too old for any of those things?

28, too old? Fffft. Have fun, enjoy yourself, get a teacher, have fun (some more)!

larryz

Platinum Member
There are many here on this forum who first picked up sticks in their mid 40s, moi' included. Go for it. It would behoove you to get a good teacher if possible and at least have one vintage Ludwig kit in your possession. Other than that....

rdb

As another who started (is starting) in his mid 40's, I found that getting a good teacher was my best move. The great thing is that however things progress, the journey is way fun.