New Documentry

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
There is a new Documentry that has just come out and being shown in some theatres here in Canada, not sure if it is opening anywhere else but chances are it will be on disc very soon. Just wnted to give you a heads up in case you might want to check it out. I may try to get othe theatre for it's short run as it sounds interesting. Here is a reviewHot Docs

A Drummer’s Dream
By Glenn Sumi
Who knew that Ontario cottage country hosts a drumming summer camp that features some of the world’s top percussion talent? This camp, run by Nasyr Abdul Al-Khabyyr (who once toured with Dizzy Gillespie), is the focus of veteran director John Walker’s latest. While watching it, you won’t be able to keep from tapping your foot.
Drumming aficionados will eat up every beat of the well-filmed performances and talks by Mike Mangini, Horacio “El-Negro” Hernandez, Raul Rekow and others. And the final jam at the end, when the students join in, is lots of fun.
But there are few surprises – except when Hernandez escapes in a canoe – and the absence of contributions from, say, Kodo drummers, makes the project feel a bit Western-centric.

jer

Silver Member
Trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUUW2RkLsk4

A co-worker of mine sent me this link a few weeks back, I guess she knows someone who worked on the film. (after watching the trailer, I was on her to make sure if they do it again, that I get to go!, yes, I'm dreaming...)

Looks like an absolutely amazing experience for all involved. Not only do the guests get wicked sessions / lessons / clinics, they can chill out and hang with these guys as well.