"New Breed" style melody/system generator

snowfall

Hey guys,
I spent the last couple of days developing some code to generate melodies/patterns similar to what's in Chester's New Breed book. I though I'd share some samples -- pdf sheets and midi files are attached. I can generate these things ad nauseum, and produce output from beginner to advanced/impossible by tweaking some parameters, so it wouldn't be too much work to publish a few of them every week somewhere on the web if there's enough interest. Here's a rundown on the four samples:
1) similar to pattern 16 on pg 11
here, its rh on ride bell, bd on quarters, hh on 2 & 4, with a random snare pattern on top of that. I could kinda work my way through it the first time by going pretty slowly.
2) 16th note sticking pattern for both hands, between hihats and left hand on snare, left foot on hats, with a random bass drum pattern on top of that. A little harder than 1, but not too bad.
3) bd on 1&3, eight notes with rh on closing/opening hh, on a separate staff is a random 16th-note snare melody. This one is gonna take some time for me to get it down.
4) this is a slightly busier 16th note melody without a pattern behind it. I'm having enough trouble with the melody without a pattern at the moment -- my sight reading isn't what it used to be :(

Let me know what you think-
- snow

Attachments

rustyfingers

You put a lot of work into this for it to just float down to the bottom so ...

Thanks!! Very helpful for an intermediate "drummer" like myself.

Dennis

snowfall

You put a lot of work into this for it to just float down to the bottom so ...

Thanks!! Very helpful for an intermediate "drummer" like myself.

Dennis
Glad you like it! If you have any favorite ostinatos, let me know, and I'll gen up a few sheets for you.

60's Drummer

Interesting project.

Perhaps part of your sight-reading problems on sample 4 could come from the unorthodox notation.

So much of it is just an unconnected stream of rest and notes - it really makes for unnecessarily difficult reading. Using dots for rests and notes really simplifies the reading process, and there are plenty of opportunities in the example to use them - along with beaming.

Thanks for sharing with us!

snowfall

Interesting project.

Perhaps part of your sight-reading problems on sample 4 could come from the unorthodox notation.

So much of it is just an unconnected stream of rest and notes - it really makes for unnecessarily difficult reading. Using dots for rests and notes really simplifies the reading process, and there are plenty of opportunities in the example to use them - along with beaming.

Thanks for sharing with us!
You're right, it's definitely harder to read than it should be. Believe it or not, what you see there is cleaned up -- i started with a string of random 16th note rests and notes, and then tried to do some consolidation, but it's not quite there yet.

81MC

Thanks for bringing New Breed to the forefront of my mind again! I had repressed the long ago memories of struggling mightily with that book.