New band

ccsimms

Hey everyone, I'm in a new band with some people I've just met. The style of music is a little different than what I'm used to playing but it's nothing completely new. Do any experienced players have some advice to help me get more comfortable playing with these guys?

Thanks,
Chris

Concrete Pete

Hey Chris,

My only advice would be "ride it out" and practice as much as possible with your new band. Since you are new, DON'T feel pressure to learn every song immediately--if they are real musicians, they will understand that it will take some time. (the hell with pressure!)

What helps me immensely is to download or record the songs your band does, and play along to the recordings on your own between practice sessions, on a CD walkman or MP3 player.

Have fun with your new bandmates!

Cheers,
C. P.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Agree on recording your rehearsals. You can then listen back repeatedly until the songs are ingrained in your brain.

jon e rotten

Agree with Larry and Pete.....I usually listen to the songs constantly at first. Recording
your practice sessions is a great help, especially if the arrangements are different than the originals.

eamesuser

Silver Member
I would constantly listen to the songs you are learning.I got into a cover band that was doing 90's alternative rock( stp gin blossoms cracker offspring alice in chains etc) and I listened to radio stations that played that format and played along to update my playing,and to learn some of the stylings and grooves that were common to the genre and it helped alot.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Hey everyone, I'm in a new band with some people I've just met. The style of music is a little different than what I'm used to playing but it's nothing completely new. Do any experienced players have some advice to help me get more comfortable playing with these guys?

Thanks,
Chris
Just remember one thing, pressures for tires!