Neil Peart

cerendrad

I grew up near Hamilton Ontario where Neil was from. I even had a high school art teacher who was in a band with him when he was in high school, but dropped out when they wanted to start playing farther from home! LOL. Of course I worshiped Neil Peart. I took a few lessons when I was a kid from a studio drummer who lived in Hamilton at the time. This guy was an amazing drummer, had met and was friends with Neil and constantly gushed about Neil when the subject came up. He said that Neil Peart was just a all around great guy. Always happy to give out music advice and gracious to new drummers and experienced ones alike. Class act, with unbelievable work ethic, and incredible talent.

BenjaminCamelot

I was there when they recorded Time Machine 2011 and it sounded fine live. Clockwork Angels Live is way worse.
Agreed. I think whoever is mixing these live albums should be fired and replaced with someone better but if you were there, I imagine it would sound better in person rather than on a CD.

iCe

Bump ;)

I play with a guitar player (from a previous project) once a month and we play 2 medleys; one Dream Theater medley because of the influence it had on me and one Rush medley because the influence it had on him. I've always loved Neil's playing playing, but now to play the actual parts myself I realize how hard it is to play it properly! MP's parts in DT i can play without too much effort, because i played along with songs in the past. Rush is new for me and it's a real challenge. Love it!

La Villa Strangiato is also in the medley and i can't get enough of listening to this song! I have the Taking Center Stage dvd (got it 3 years back or so) and finally got A Work In Progress (still have to watch dvd 2). Love that once every 3 to 4 years i get inspired by a drummer and that i get a paradigm shift* playing wise.

Back to the previous comments; i got the R40 dvd and i really dislike the mixing. Also have the R30 dvd which sounds way better, but also think the recorded R40 show on the dvd lacks energy. Could be that the crowd is almost inaudible on that show, but it sounds like 'just' Rush doing their stuff at soundcheck.

*pun intended

BenjaminCamelot

Back to the previous comments; i got the R40 dvd and i really dislike the mixing. Also have the R30 dvd which sounds way better, but also think the recorded R40 show on the dvd lacks energy. Could be that the crowd is almost inaudible on that show, but it sounds like 'just' Rush doing their stuff at soundcheck.

*pun intended
I can't stand the mixing on Rush's last three live albums. I can barely hear the drums if I'm playing along to the R40 album.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
For some reason, I think they'll be back. It may not be soon but I think there's one more album in them...
I'm pretty sure Geddy and Alex will at some point, though I'm not sure they'll call it "Rush" as I don't think anything will get Neil to come out of retirement.

OldReliable

I’m kinda happy in a way that Alex and Geddy are working on new projects, maybe we’ll get to see a different side of their musical abilities. Then, at least we’ll have something “kinda like Rush” instead of them all retiring and never hearing these great musicians play again.

I’m kinda happy in a way that Alex and Geddy are working on new projects, maybe we’ll get to see a different side of their musical abilities. Then, at least we’ll have something “kinda like Rush” instead of them all retiring and never hearing these great musicians play again.
Alex basically just said a day or so ago that Rush is done for good. Hopefully those two will do an album together. It'd be cool if there were no drums on it too.