Need urgent help (with noisy drums)!

theuntitleddrummer

Hi fellow drummers,
I have a big problem that I will be facing in these next few weeks or maybe months. I have relatives moving in and I don't think they are a huge fan of noise. Also, the thing is that they watch their TV shows in the afternoon from 12 to 4 and that's the only time I USUALLY play. (I CAN'T PLAY AT 5PM)
I need to find the cheapest and MOST effective way to solve this. If I put the drums in the garage, the neighbors with hear and the cold temperatures might damage my drums. If I put in downstairs in the living room, people can't watch TV (and as a mentioned they watch TV in the noon) AND MY FLOOR IS WOOD. Upstairs there is carpet and neighbors won't hear but it WILL SHAKE THE WHOLE UPSTAIRS AND BE LOUD THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE. Actually I think the garage is the most effective way because it has carpet and I find it the most "isolated" part of the house but again when its cold I don't want my drums to get damaged! Sorry for the long post but I REALLY need your guy's help in this one. This is one that I can't get out of right away. Keep in mind that I'm 13 so moving out is not an option and like budget can't reach $100. I think sound mutes are the way to go but I think they will GET SO IN LOVE WITH THEM THAT THEY WON'T LET ME TAKE IT OUT.
Thanks in Advance!

Wavelength

Platinum Member
Re: NEED URGENT HELP!!!

Hi fellow drummers,
I have a big problem that I will be facing in these next few weeks or maybe months. I have relatives moving in and I don't think they are a huge fan of noise. Also, the thing is that they watch their TV shows in the afternoon from 12 to 4 and that's the only time I USUALLY play. (I CAN'T PLAY AT 5PM)
I need to find the cheapest and MOST effective way to solve this.
Rat poison.

Yes, it was a joke. No, you really shouldn't do it.

spirit

Yup- I think at that budjet all you can do is drum pads ti mute the sound- you can get them reasonably cheap on E bay- I just bought a set about a month ago for around 30 pounds.

B

Big_Philly

Rat poison.

I was going to suggest an axe but rat poison is less messy.

But the garage is probably the best option Just talk to the neighbours in advance, if you do that and come to an agreement on how often, at what times and how long you will practise you should be fine. You also don't need to worry about the cold. It's frequent changes in temperature that are bad for your drums, e.g. when the temperature wobbles between 10 and 22 centigrade (if you want this in Fahrenheit, google is your friend). High moisture levels are also bad news, but they can be fixed quite easily (though not necessarily cheap). As for the relatives: will they really be watching TV for 4 hours a day in the afternoon? Maybe they need a job.

theuntitleddrummer

My parents think about scheduling my time but I mean after thinking about it there's really no time to play when they are here. I eliminated all my hours and it seems that 4 - 5 is the best but it's not a guaranteed time due to dinner or eating outside or me going with my parents to drop off products etc because we have a business. And my relatives don't work, because they had to take care of my grandpa. After my grandpa died, like about 3 months ago, they needed to find a house because they were renting the house they were at and it was time to move out. And yes they do watch TV from 12 - 4. Please don't say why because all Filipinos do except the kids of course.

drumhead61

Gold Member

I vote for the relatives but I mean I don't wanna waste $2000 worth of drums and not use it.

I agree with you there...family first! Sounds to me like you ALL need to have a sit down and talk this one over as a family what will best work for each of you so that there are no misconceptions! Best of luck, but get to talking with the family and then let us know what happens.

JIM

SGT_Drummer

Rat poison.

thats what i would do. lol

buy or have your parents buy you a space heater for the garage and play in there. if they complain explain to your parents its something you really enjoy doing and have your parents talk to them. it is after all, thier house.

Daphfz

Try and get your hands on some kinda of heater, put the drums in the garage, and when its cold, have the heater on to keep them at a nice temperature. But talk to your neighbours as someone else mentioned and ask them if you can play a couple of times each day for 5-15mins, anytime from 10-5 (if your busy most hours of the day, im sure you could find 5mins inbetween jobs or something).

I hope this helps mate.

Daphfz