need help with triggers and sampling please!

Ok, heres what I wanna do... I have some triggers right now and I want to make it so everytime I hit the trigger a different sample plays. And I want each trigger to have it's own sequence of samples. I have a MIDI to USB converter box already. What else do I need and how do I do this?

Ben Tormey

I remember Tony Laureano did this with Nile. An auxilliary pedal cycled through a set of samples on a laptop. I do not know how they did that unfortunately! But you could emulate this by using a trigger or pad to change the MIDI channel, then assign different samples to each channel. However, that's not exactly what you want. I'll update you if I find a solution.

D

DamoSyzygy

I guess, being MIDI you could set it to trigger different samples at different velocity levels.

I guess, being MIDI you could set it to trigger different samples at different velocity levels.

Yeah that might work, but if I wanna set like 5 samples to one trigger it might get tricky. What kind of software would you guys recomend for sampling anyway? I'm new to this whole thing.

Ben Tormey

Well, you can use a number of programs, it depends a lot on how what your budget is. You could use BFD, Drumagog, or EZDrummer within anything that supports VST. For example, Cubase, Ableton, Protools etc. BFD is available as a standalone product too.

It's important to use low latency drivers, some commercial packages include these, but you can use ASIO4ALL as a free alternative.

I think I found a way for you to do what you want with Bome's MIDI translator: http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/download.html

You can add rules to take incoming MIDI commands from certain inputs and output a different MIDI command to whatever program is running. Still not sure how to cycle through samples without changing channels.