Need help with this song

brunakelly

Hi,
I am so sorry if this is in the wrong category but I was wondering if someone could please please help? I really need help with a part of this song called Death and His Friends by Coldplay. I’m left handed and supposed to be playing open handed but with this specific part I’m supposed to be using my right hand and it’s so confusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_wcRxGbqdU

It starts at 2:21

I know that it’s basically 3 crash hits with the bass, then you hit the snare and the ride at the same time but after that I’m getting really confused. Do I hit the ride while hitting the bass 3 times? or is it bass, ride, bass ride? Playing open handed is making this so confusing but right now I don’t have a choice. I also can’t find any drum sheet music for this song or else I would’ve been able to decipher it. Thank you!

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Re: I really need help with this song (I don't know where I'm suppose to post this)

The cymbals are pretty low in that mix, but I'd say he's on the ride for the whole part, half-crashing it, so to speak. I'd leave my hand on the ride, keep it steady with some wash and just focus on the bass snare thing. Maybe accent the ride hits a bit when the bass drum gets hit.

AtomicFlapjack

Re: I really need help with this song (I don't know where I'm suppose to post this)

Perhaps you're getting confused because this part is in 7/4? Try counting along to that section, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 and repeat. Once you appreciate this it may make the rhythm easier to understand. Sounds like he's just playing a crash (or wash-riding) on each crotchet, or perhaps quavers with ghosted off-beats. Hope that makes sense.

PS first post since 2012!