Need help identifying Yamaha drum set

mrmdrums

Need some (all) info for a Yamaha drum set 4 piece I believe they are oak shells
The badge from the 12" Tom reads: Yamaha Made in Taiwan Republic of China
Model number:TT-912DA
Serial Number: XJ-5016

Dark brown stain interior and exterior. Are the Oak Customs? What is the year of manufacture?

Any and all comments/info welcomed!

Last edited:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
........... never mind, picture added.

Humm.....I'm stumped. And I don't say that very often when it comes to drums.

It looks like a stage custom, but I'm not sure, because I recall them being made in Indonesia, not Tawain.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Oooohhhh... some nice, older Tour series drums!
These were Birch and another wood I can't recall offhand...maybe mahogany.

NOT student drums, but a very nice kit.

They were technically one step down from the all brich RC's, but these were great drums, and had all the same care in them as RC's.

Pic's of the whole kit please!

Wait!!...if the number is 912, maybe it is a first generation RC....hmmm.....RC's first had this lug, and they were the 9000 series drums. The long lugs came out I think in 83-84, but definitely after this lug was used and the RC's were introduced in America.
If it's not an early RC, then it's a Tour series.

Artstar

Platinum Member
Wait!!...if the number is 912, maybe it is a first generation RC....hmmm.....RC's first had this lug, and they were the 9000 series drums. .
That is exactly correct. This IS the first Recording.. just called 9000 then.. I owned these and they were STELLAR drums.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I still think the bolted on tom arms Yamaha had were just fine.
I don't care about the YESS mount.
I had the Yamaha mounts on my drums years ago and I had NO problem getting the drums to resonate just great.

I love looking at old Yamaha catalogs. Those drums just worked all around.
The hardware system was awesome. It all looked like it was supposed to be together.
I never cared for the re-designs.

The thing that is nice about the newer boom is the memory lock.
Other than that, give me the old 80's red/black (sticker) series any day.

scorch whammin

Gold Member
This kit was from the late 70's..the wood is a mix of birch and camilla (sp.?)..it is a predecessor to the RC line...they are really nice drums btw..I remember when I was in high school that was the kit I really wanted!..:)

konaboy

Pioneer Member
This kit was from the late 70's..the wood is a mix of birch and camilla (sp.?)..it is a predecessor to the RC line...they are really nice drums btw..I remember when I was in high school that was the kit I really wanted!..:)
Yep that's actually mostly correct. My kit has the same model numbers on it with the DA and I emailed yamaha about it and was told that's what they were, however Yamaha told me they are mahogany/camilla wood. These were pre-recording customs, the RC's replaced this kit from what I was told.

Here's what Dave Ksycki at Yamaha told me

"Brian,
9000DA Series - mahogany/camellia wood shells ... a separate distinct series that went away. The all-birch Recording Custom replaced it with the 9xx model numbers.
8xx - Tour Series - birch/mahogany shells
5xx - Stage Series - all Philippine mahogany shells
Dave"

Artstar

Platinum Member
My kit has the same model numbers on it with the DA and I emailed yamaha about it and was told that's what they were, however Yamaha told me they are mahogany/camilla wood. These were pre-recording customs, the RC's replaced this kit from what I was told.
"
Yeah.. I see that Kona. Are these different in the catalog posted above ?? With the Serials ending without the A ?? they just say 9000D , I think.

Also.. I noticed the 7000, Stage Series, they do note the Camellia wood in those.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Yeah.. I see that Kona. Are these different in the catalog posted above ?? With the Serials ending without the A ?? they just say 9000D , I think.

Also.. I noticed the 7000, Stage Series, they do note the Camellia wood in those.
yeah I think those are a different series than the DA's. All I can really say on them is what I was told by Dave at Yamaha. I sent him model and serial numbers from each drum and he told me when they were made and the wood and the DA's I have were made 1979/1980

scorch whammin

Gold Member
Yep that's actually mostly correct. My kit has the same model numbers on it with the DA and I emailed yamaha about it and was told that's what they were, however Yamaha told me they are mahogany/camilla wood. These were pre-recording customs, the RC's replaced this kit from what I was told.

Here's what Dave Ksycki at Yamaha told me

"Brian,
9000DA Series - mahogany/camellia wood shells ... a separate distinct series that went away. The all-birch Recording Custom replaced it with the 9xx model numbers.
8xx - Tour Series - birch/mahogany shells
5xx - Stage Series - all Philippine mahogany shells
Dave"
Yea...I've actually got the paper catalog...I'll try and find it and take some pics and post them here..in the catalog they mention 100% birch shells in some of the text, but none of the series (D and DA) that they picture are 100% birch, and I believe (based on pics) that they are the Taiwan ROC kit years...

scorch whammin

Gold Member
Here's some pics of the catalog I have..I believe this is from the taiwan (ROC) years (based on badges)....both series pictured in catalog have mixed woods (9000D & 9000DA)..

Last edited: