need help from pro teachers

Hedon

thanks for the reply!
i was wondering if i should introduce them to actually playing the drums, or only use the pad for the beginning. pad only is definitely better for a complete beginner in my opinion, but youre saying i should make it interesting, so...

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
ok im gonna teach my first ever drum lesson tomorrow and the thing is, the kid is 8 years old. any advice about what i should do with a student this young?
Find out what HIS interests are and focus on teaching him something each lesson that HE wants to learn. The best thing you can do with students younger than about 10 is spark their interest. It will go a long way in regards to how much they practice and how long they stick with it. Of course, teach proper hand technique as you've been taught, and the basics for where they're at. Make it fun. It's easy at this age for the student to see their "homework" from the lessons as another chore. Make it something they look forward to...

Hedon

ok im gonna teach my first ever drum lesson tomorrow and the thing is, the kid is 8 years old. any advice about what i should do with a student this young?