Need Help Choosing New Kit

dKnight

Hey Everyone. I've been on an extended drum hiatus but have picked up the sticks again. I've put in a ton of time on my practice pad the past 7 months and I want to buy a nice kit. I would appreciate your opinions/advice on the three following drum kits: DW Performance, Tama Starclassic Bubinga (Not B/B...and I know they're not made anymore but one is available at my local store), and Tama Starclassic Maple. I'm into rock/metal (fav band is Katatonia and I think he uses a birch kit). What are your thoughts on sound and quality? Thanks!

cbphoto

Gold Member
What kind of drum heads do you prefer? That makes a huge difference in tone.

I play a Starclassic bubinga kit with clear Evans G1 over Genera for an open sound. I think bubinga helps produce a sharper attack than maple, but the resonance sounds close to the maple kits I've played around town (Gretsch, Yamaha). I've never compared side by side, with identical heads.

For your genre, listen closely to the kick drum & snare, and how they mix together. Those two get played 90% of the time.

dKnight

I'm going to buy new skins as well. I'm looking at Evans EC2 for the toms and EMAD2 for the bass.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
Hey Everyone. I've been on an extended drum hiatus but have picked up the sticks again. I've put in a ton of time on my practice pad the past 7 months and I want to buy a nice kit. I would appreciate your opinions/advice on the three following drum kits: DW Performance, Tama Starclassic Bubinga (Not B/B...and I know they're not made anymore but one is available at my local store), and Tama Starclassic Maple. I'm into rock/metal (fav band is Katatonia and I think he uses a birch kit). What are your thoughts on sound and quality? Thanks!
Just a look and the drummer from Katatonia seems to use a Tama Superstar kit that is Birch.

Artstar

Platinum Member

All of those are good kit's. . The Starclassics have much nicer finishes and look a little more top end level IMO.

They all sound great.

dKnight

All of those are good kit's. . The Starclassics have much nicer finishes and look a little more top end level IMO.

They all sound great.
I agree, Starclassic has more attractive finishes IMO. The Pacific Walnut finish on the SC Maples looks incredible. I feel that the hardware on the Starclassics is much better than the DW also.

Artstar

Platinum Member
I agree, Starclassic has more attractive finishes IMO. The Pacific Walnut finish on the SC Maples looks incredible. I feel that the hardware on the Starclassics is much better than the DW also.
Oh yeah.. those 3 different walnut finishes are incredible. When DW does something of that level.. they want like 6k or something. LOL

IBitePrettyHard

I'd go with the Starclassic Bubinga or Maple because they have cleaner tone than the DW Performance series IMHO. They also have a little more attack, which is what you'd want for your style of music.

It'd be a tossup between the Bubinga or Maple though, they're both versatile.

dKnight

Bubinga is gone I believe.
Tama stopped manufacturing Bubinga in the Starclassic line because of environmental restrictions. But you can still find some kits available in stores. The problem is that I would be forced to buy whichever finishes are left. That’s why I’m leaning towards the SC Maple so I can order whatever finish I want. But it’s a lot of money (at least to me) and I don’t want to regret missing out on the SC Bubingas. First world problems...

cbphoto

Gold Member
Tama stopped manufacturing Bubinga in the Starclassic line because of environmental restrictions. But you can still find some kits available in stores. The problem is that I would be forced to buy whichever finishes are left. That’s why I’m leaning towards the SC Maple so I can order whatever finish I want. But it’s a lot of money (at least to me) and I don’t want to regret missing out on the SC Bubingas. First world problems...
Back when the Tama forum was functioning, a Tama/Hoshino-USA employee posted that a color scheme is available for 4 years after it’s been discontinued. I don’t know if that still hold true.

What you really need to do is hear them side by side. Then your decision will not leave any doubts.

dKnight

Back when the Tama forum was functioning, a Tama/Hoshino-USA employee posted that a color scheme is available for 4 years after it’s been discontinued. I don’t know if that still hold true.

What you really need to do is hear them side by side. Then your decision will not leave any doubts.
I wish I could hear them side by side but I don’t have access to a store that has both in stock. Especially since the Bubingas were discontinued.