Need Advice on cymbals

Hi everyone, I am new to drumming and don't exactly know what different kinds of cymbals I should have. I am interested in playing anything from alternative to heavy metal like slayer, LoG, etc. So, my question is how many different cymbals would be deemed appropriate for this style of music?
How many crashes (sizes), splashes (sizes), etc?
I know for sure that I will be buying a Zildjian oreintal china but I think I would need at least two in different sizes correct?

beatdat

As a new drummer, I don’t recommend you start with anything more than a 4-piece kit, plus hi-hats, ride and a crash, regardless of what styles you want to learn.

Save the extra bells and whistles for when you’re ready for them. They’re too much for now, and usually lead newer drummers to end up compensating for shortcomings rather than tackle them head on.

You have to learn how to crawl and walk before you can run.

Peedy

Only thing I’d add is get quality if you can afford it. Zildjian A or Sabian AA or similar would be ideal to start. Oddly, I would say my cymbals are more important to me than my drums.

Only thing I’d add is get quality if you can afford it. Zildjian A or Sabian AA or similar would be ideal to start. Oddly, I would say my cymbals are more important to me than my drums.
What is the difference between the A or AA and all that? Im thinking of getting a new crash and ride and over the months a 14 or 18 china. I got the pearl roadshow kit, the drums are good but I hear the cymbals are horrible.

Mustion

What is the difference between the A or AA and all that? Im thinking of getting a new crash and ride and over the months a 14 or 18 china. I got the pearl roadshow kit, the drums are good but I hear the cymbals are horrible.
Zildjian A are the analog to Sabian AA and vice versa; different brands, similar concept. Solid all-rounder cymbals, good for pretty much any genre. Buy used if you can.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Hi everyone, I am new to drumming and don't exactly know what different kinds of cymbals I should have. I am interested in playing anything from alternative to heavy metal like slayer, LoG, etc. So, my question is how many different cymbals would be deemed appropriate for this style of music?
How many crashes (sizes), splashes (sizes), etc?
I know for sure that I will be buying a Zildjian oreintal china but I think I would need at least two in different sizes correct?
For hard rock and metal...
You will want hats, a ride with a working bell, a functional crash, and an accent cymbal (china, efx, etc) on your right.

For dense music with screaming vocals and wailing guitars, grab Zildjian A's or Sabian AA's.... Or whatever your local cymbal manufacturers make that is comparable.

For sparse arrangements (think of the band Clutch) where you need to fill in a bit more spectrum, consider Zildjian K's or Sabian HHX.

Peedy

What kind of money were you thinking of laying out for cymbals? Thinking new from a store, used but current models or used vintage?

A great place to start is to ask your drum teacher (you should have or get one) to bring in a few so you can hear the difference between starter, mid-range and pro stuff. Also, what country are you in? That's important when it comes to price and availability.

Pete

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I'd look into the Sabian AA line. While I have owned and still own Zildjian A cymbals, I find them quite more inconsistent, and I always advice to "try before you buy" if you can. Great Ziljians sound absolutely fantastic. Others don't...even though they look exactly the same.

What do you "need?" I'd start with hats, ride, 2 crashes. After this, you can look at splashes, bells, etc. However, you need to be able to play long enough to determine what you need for the music you are playing. Best of luck!

harryconway

Platinum Member
First off ..... what's your budget? If you're buying just one or two cymbals at a time, your hi-hat and ride get the most use, so I'd put your money into those first. And then build from there. Get a good crash. If you really, really, really want a china, go for it. Being happy makes you want to play your kit, and more time behind the kit ..... usually is a good thing. Here's a video of 9 different drummers playing to one Night Verses song. Some have a boat load of cymbals ..... some have relatively few. Another thing you might consider, if you're buying cymbals one at a time. Once you replace your "marginal" sounding hi-hats, you might find your hi-hat bottom or top might make a good effects cymbal on it's own. Maybe as a china substitute.

Last edited:

cbphoto

Gold Member
No Paiste fanbois here? Nothing cuts the din of metal guitars better than Paiste 2002s. And if you wanna look good, add some color!
84536DB8-C6D8-4904-82BC-94DEF069DCC4.gif