name your favorite snare strainer

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Please? I have almost no experience with the Nickelworks, and Trick...I'm interested in hearing comments from people who are really happy with their strainers but more importantly I want to know why you like them so much. I've used the Ludwig P-85 and similar designs, they work fine. How about you? Thanks!

ermghoti

Silver Member
I've done well with both the Trick and the Gibraltar/Dunnett. In each case, smooth, one-handed operation, and some ability to position the strainer shy of fully-tight are high points. The Dunnett looks a little more classic and is less expensive, but the Trick is extremely nice, worth the extra funds, if you can get around its scifi appearance.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I have two DW snares, and I replaced both strainers with Ludwigs because I kept breaking the DW strainers.

Although DW has long since changed their design from the ones I had.

To me it seems as if 98% of all strainers all accomplish the same task.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I'm a big fan of the Trick 007 strainer--simple mechanics, sturdy, easy to adjust/throw off without looking...

It is pretty bulky, though, and a little too "sci-fi" looking for my tastes. Its smooth and easy operation overrides these detriments, though.

I have two DW snares, and I replaced both strainers with Ludwigs because I kept breaking the DW strainers.

Although DW has long since changed their design from the ones I had.

To me it seems as if 98% of all strainers all accomplish the same task.
Thats funny, all the Ludwig strainers I have ever used have been horrific.