N.Y. Drummers Intensive day! #2! September 4th- W/ Clayton Cameron and Phil Maturano

Phil Maturano

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Drummers Intensive day!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt0tp34jUaY
Outline
The Drummers Intensive day was started to serve the needs of drummers across the globe. After 17 years of doing clinics on a worldwide basis, I know first hand that players still have a burning desire to learn and improve their craft. As we all know this learning process never stops, for any of us. The question is always...who to turn to, and how to get time with players that have vast experience in their particular field. How can we even find them when they are not in our area of the world? Dealing with scheduling conflicts and expenses of a 1 on 1 lesson can also be a hurdle. So to make our drumming and our drumming community stronger, the Drummers Intensive day was started.

Central Concept
The central concept of the "Drummers Intensive Day" is to provide students with playing time in front of some of the best players in the world. In a clinic setting we have the opportunity to see experienced players play, showcase equipment, give playing ideas and inspiration. But only 2 hours of watching someone play can leave lots of holes and questions. And of course there is no time for participants to get up and play and have feedback in any way. Maybe many drummers are also hesitant to ask questions because of fear or they are simply too shy. I found that this problem is overcome by putting sticks in that persons hands and saying..."lets hear where you are". This removes all inhibitions and lets us all share the joy of our journey in drumming. While getting the best advice from experienced players in a setting that is both constructive, musically safe and has the best outcome for the participant in mind.

What takes place?
In this 5 to 6 hour journey into drumming, the hosts will guide participants through the area in which they have outstanding expertise. Participants not only watch and learn but also take part! When you are at a Drummers intensive day...be ready to play! When you attend, you must be ready to play on drumset and in front of everyone at the event. You will play to backing tracks, and play along with the instructor. You will then receive feedback from them as well as your fellow participants. That is what makes this event unique. We have plenty of time to accommodate all questions and explore the subject matter at hand deeply and thoroughly.

Who's there?
On this day we will have Brush Master and all around wonderful drumming artist Clayton Cameron. Clayton Cameron has a dynamic career that has already crossed many barriers in the world of music. From Sammy Davis Jr. to Tony Bennett, Clayton continues to push the envelope of contemporary drumming and brushes to their very limits. His DVD "BrushWorks" is the 2007 Modern Drummer Magazine Poll Winner . He is a wonderful, drummer, teacher and most importantly, a kind and caring human being.

http://claytoncameron.com/

Phil Maturano...Thats me:) I will be handling the Latin stuff again and we will work out of my Book " Latin soloing for the drumset" and my DVD - "Afro Cuban Drumming"

There might be more surprise guests but right now thats who is confirmed! I hope to see you all there and if you would like to attend, drop me an email...

phil@philmaturano.com

I will email you the location, everything you need to prepare and bring etc.
The price of the event is $100.00 US - If you dont have my book "Latin soloing" You will get that and my new book "The Left foot clave system" -

Here are some reviews of the day from participants.

Hey Everyone!!!!!
I had to tell you guys that the Intensive Day was amazing!!!! Really intimate and TONS of knowledge and information given and taught. If you guys can make it to the next one please do!!!!!!!! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!! Phil's playing is incredible and his phrasing is something else (not to mention his independence LOL!!) Take care and God Bless.
Carlito

Phil is not only an incredible drummer and musician but a cool guy too. His Intensive day was great! Informative and fun. I would recommend his books and video to anyone. The Inner Clock stuff was challenging and the way the language of Latin (African-descended) rhythm was presented was brilliant. Phil doesn't show you a cheesy mambo pattern and leave it at that. He teaches his students how to understand and speak the language of african-descended rhythms so that they can truly communicate in this language. Did I mention that his latin soloing ability is on a par with anyone out there? Seriously, If you want to play this stuff, check out his materials.
Jeff

I had a really awesome time with Phil and the rest of the gang at the intensive day. It was VERY informative and getting a chance to play and be critiqued by Phil was really a good learning experience. I went into the day not knowing very much Latin material and about 6/8 time as it pertains to Latin rhythms. After coming out of that session, my drumming horizons are truly expanded tenfold. The books/materials we received were top notch and will last me for a very, very long time of study. If Phil has another intensive day like this I would highly recommend going. What an invaluable experience. Thank you Phil!
Dominick
------------------------------------------------------
Big hugs to all

www.philmaturano.com
www.myspace.com/philmaturanodrums
www.youtube.com/philmaturanodrums

Last edited:

cbrushman

Re: N.Y. Drummers Intensive day! #2! September 4th- W/ Clayton Cameron and Phil Matur

Hey Guys,

I have enjoyed reading some of the threads and I am really looking forward to coming to NYC
next week. I will be over at Dizzy's Coca Cola with Kenny Burrell from August 3rd to the 9th,. And man I am so excited to be playing with bassist Peter Washington along with Benny Green on Piano. If you can, come by and say hello but, hopefully I will see you at the Intensive day. Hey have any of you tried the Zildjian Sweet Ride 21" or the Armand Baby . I just got them and was going to try them out next week a Dizzy's. They sound good in my studio but, I have not tried them live yet. Let me know what you think about them.

Clayton Cameron

cbrushman

Re: N.Y. Drummers Intensive day! #2! September 4th- W/ Clayton Cameron and Phil Matur

Man, I am looking forward to coming to my home away from home NYC. I should say that Park Slope was my neighborhood for most of the 90's before moving back to the west to get married. Tomorrow night I do my monthly Brush Circle for two hours at the Remo Center here in the Los Angeles Area. It works just as a drum circle only everyone is playing the instrument with the brushes. I lead by breaking the group into different sections and give each section a pattern to play. And the patterns are not just from the jazz vernacular.

Take care,
Clayton Cameron

P.S.
The date of September 4th is going to be moved to that weekend. What's better, by a show of hits, Saturday or Sunday?

Last edited:

Phil Maturano

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Re: N.Y. Drummers Intensive day! #2! September 7th- W/ Clayton Cameron and Phil Matur

Hi Guys! It looks like the Sunday is winning out. That would the 7th of September.
So far it looks like we are moving it to that day. Hope it makes things easier for people to attend.

All the best
PM

cbrushman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post
Hello fellow Sweepers and tappers,
Just got in from a Brush Circle

One of the things we did was learn a few of my brush rudiments. With names like Sweepalet, Parasliddle and Tapsweep you will get your fill of onomatopoeias. This reminds me:

I run into Tony Williams several years ago at the Thelonius Monk Institute concert. I am back stage and this unfamiliar voice calls my name. "Hey Clayton, why didn't you call me back?" Says Tony Williams.

I am shocked to see that it is him. Then, after I pick up my jaw off the floor, Tony Williams proceeds to tell me that he was going to be playing more with just his trio, which meant more brushes.

He goes on to say: "I saw something on your tape (The Living Art of Brushes) that reminded me of Philly Jo Jones and I want to get together with you on it." Well I was shocked beyond belief.

Unfortunately soon after that Tony would pass away. The rudiment I believe he was after is called a Tripletsweepalet. A variation on Philly Jo's paradiddlediddle.

See ya soon,

Clayton

Phil Maturano

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Re: N.Y. Drummers Intensive day! #2! September 7th- W/ Clayton Cameron and Phil Matur

WOW!! Great post man!!! What a story! I wish I would have been there that day!

Phil Maturano

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Guys! We need to start locking everything down so if you know that you are going to attend, please confirm your spot right away. We have limited spaces so we want to make sure we get everyone in who really wants in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt0tp34jUaY

See you there!
Regards
PM