My tom sounds dead

yjb63

I just got a gretsch catalina maple and love it, but my right tom sounds very dead and I can't get it to ring. I've tried retuning it many times but it just won't ring. I'm assuming it's the head (I have stock heads on it right now) and I think I'll have to buy new heads fairly soon but is there anything I can do to make it ring more so I won't have to buy new heads right now?

Thanks

T

trkdrmr

It could be the bearing edges. You should removed both heads, and closely examine the bearing edge for any irregularities/flat spots etc. Do this before investing in new heads.

L

lewisn27

I would say change the heads. Stock heads are useless anyway and they probably will get deader quicker than other heads.

T

trkdrmr

I would say change the heads. Stock heads are useless anyway and they probably will get deader quicker than other heads.
I found the stock heads to be annoyingly bright and ringy. They are always that way on the showroom floor. If his drum is "dead" I suspect something else is adding to the problem, which he needs to check out first before spending money.

It costs nothing to look, and if he does have bad bearing edges, new heads won't help at all.

L

lewisn27

I found the stock heads to be annoyingly bright and ringy. They are always that way on the showroom floor. If his drum is "dead" I suspect something else is adding to the problem, which he needs to check out first before spending money.

It costs nothing to look, and if he does have bad bearing edges, new heads won't help at all.
If he does have bad bearing edges, I'd be suprised. Gretsch are usually really good with quality, even on lower end kits. The catalina maple is a intermediate kit, so I'd be suprised.
but as you said, it doesn't cost anything to look.
If there is something wrong, and if you bought it new, Gretsch will sort it out because it will be under warranty.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
That kit should have come with Evans G1 heads which are far from useless. I would try looking at the bearing edges then re-tune, starting with the reso heads.

T

trkdrmr

If he does have bad bearing edges, I'd be suprised. Gretsch are usually really good with quality, even on lower end kits. The catalina maple is a intermediate kit, so I'd be suprised.
but as you said, it doesn't cost anything to look.
If there is something wrong, and if you bought it new, Gretsch will sort it out because it will be under warranty.
Yep, I am fully aware of gretsch quality. But...when you troubleshoot drum problems, never, ever assume. I don't care if it's a DW or sonor, it's still possible to have one bad drum.

And as GD says: G1's are great drumheads, I have those on my kit.

I have 100% faith that Gretsch would make it right if they have to.

zzdrummer

I think only the higher end American made Gretsch's come with G1's, because mine came with stock Gretsch logo heads about a year and a half ago. Maybe it has changed.

L

lewisn27

That kit should have come with Evans G1 heads which are far from useless. I would try looking at the bearing edges then re-tune, starting with the reso heads.
Ohhhh, all of the gretsch kits come with g1's. I thought it was just some of them.

stillgroovin

Actually the Cat maples come with Gretsch stock heads, which are absolute junk. I believe that the Renowns come with the real Evans heads. The large drum you are talking about, is it the 12in? I will tell you from experience what worked for me and hopefully this will help. First, dump the stock heads. It is worth the investment of changing the stock heads out for pro stuff since it will make a world of difference.Secondly, invest in nylon washer for the lugs. they help to isolate the tom and improve resonance. Lastly, tune, tune tune....the 12 is touchy but will ring with the right tweaking. Too low and you will get a thud, too high and the drum will wash out and sound like a box. This drum has a sweet spot that, when you find it , will make you smile. Hang in there.....tuning can be frustrating but if you are patient you will be happy with results from this drum. I explained in detail in another post how I sealed the interiors of my Cat Maples with Teak oli. This really made the shells open up!!!! Gretsch makes a good product so I would doubt that the shell is bad, however stranger things have happened and it is remotly possible you got a dud. Try everything else before giving it the heave ho..

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
I think only the higher end American made Gretsch's come with G1's, because mine came with stock Gretsch logo heads about a year and a half ago. Maybe it has changed.
Even the Gretsch Catalina's come with G1's.

There's a possibility he could have a bad drumhead too. Maybe try another head on that one drum. A single G1 shouldn't break the bank.

spirit

I dont know if you have tried this but take the heads off, and I like to use candle wax on my bearing edges the first time I put new heads on--it helps them seat better and tune easier in the first instance.. just get a candle and lightly run it on the edge to coat. Then fit the head and make sure its seated properly by pushing down on it after you have the hoop on and have put a few turns on each lug. Tune is slowley as possible- I like to press the head down a few more times just till the crackling has stopped and then retune. Do this on both sides and if you want a slight ring, tune the bottom half a note higher then the top.

This tip works well- try it all of you next time you change your heads.