My Skype call with Steve Gadd

JohnW

Silver Member
That's awesome, 8Mile! I would have so many questions for him that I wouldn't know where to begin. But it sounds like you did great just improvising, rather than a rote interview.

And PledgeMusic- I just looked this up and Steve's band project. What an excellent idea- something you'll never forget and I'll bet he was touched to talk with someone so informed, sincere and passionate about his playing.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
That's fantastic, congratulations. I'll be sure to check out the project. My dream call would be 10 minutes (going on a day!) with Vinnie. The things I'd ask him, it would be life changing!

8Mile

Platinum Member
Thanks, guys. It was very special.

Very happy for ya Lar, I know how big of an influence Gadd has been for you. Is that the first time you ever spoke to him? Were you nervous?
Yeah, Lar, first time having any kind of communication with him. I was extremely nervous! I have had a few chances to meet musical heroes of mine in the flesh and let's just say it was obvious I was nervous. But Steve put me at ease right away.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
That's great man. In my experience, 10 minutes with the right person can have enormous, long-lasting value. Please keep us up to date on what this does for your playing.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Very happy for ya Lar, I know how big of an influence Gadd has been for you. Is that the first time you ever spoke to him? Were you nervous?

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Wow, that's great! Thanks for sharing this!!
I have heard from others that have met Steve that he is a really nice, good guy.

So glad it was a good experience for you!!

8Mile

Platinum Member
Good one, 8! What did you pick up from him?
Anything in particular you picked his brain about?

Steve's such a living legend, I wouldn't even know where to begin.
I talked to him about an array of things but I had a couple specific questions about grip. Steve is the only "name" drummer I've ever seen who used to use the Bobby Thompson/Les Parks grip. He demonstrates it on his first instructional video, Up Close. I wondered whether he found it necessary to abandon that and take a different approach when playing drumset (which I did), and he said yes.

I also asked him about trad/matched since he seems to have transitioned so well to playing both. I was wondering how much time he spends practicing both. He said he's definitely better at trad but likes matched for hitting hard. He surprised me when he said he practices trad exclusively on the pad. Kind of a shock, because his left hand matched is way beyond mine and I figured he would have had to work hard at it but apparently not!

We packed a lot of discussion into our call!

rdb

Sounds fantastic. I pledged at a lower level but got a signed cymbal. I do like the album.

FoolInTheRain

Anything in particular you picked his brain about?

Steve's such a living legend, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

IDDrummer

Platinum Member
That's a great story, Larry. Glad you got to experience one of those wonderful once-in-a-lifetime moments!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Very cool indeed, & I get the deeper connection angle/gratification too. Somehow, getting involved brings you close to the project, & is accordingly more satisfying :)

CreeplyTuna

Silver Member
Great story 8Mile. Few people ever get to meet their hero, let alone have a conversation with them. Sounds like you had a fantastic experience.

iamjohn

Thanks for sharing that. Steve has been a huge influence on me as well. And I agree about the Pledge thing. I pledged for Weckl's new project.