My right hand won't get faster

Dreaux

No mater how hard I try, I can't get my right hand faster, especially 16's. My half time shuffle has a decent tempo but when I try to play Santeria (by sublime) i just can't do it. I can barely pull Tom sawyer off and some of the faster tempo punk and sambas is damn near impossible (even though I hate punk). I have been practicing finger technique and the push/pull but still can't break through. Which technique or method should I stick with that will get me there the fastest?

Numberless

Platinum Member
Just keep practicing, if your technique is good, it's just a matter of patience, some things just don't happen overnight. John Ramsay says he was practicing singles with his teacher, Alan Dawson, he said to Alan "I'm frustrated, I've been at the same tempo for three months" and Alan replied "I've been at the same tempo for three years!".

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Sure you can. Just have a plan, a routine and BE PATIENT.

Also remeber we are all just human. Developing new skills doesn't follow a steadily raising line. It's a constant roller coaster depending on all sorts of factors. Just keep practicing steadily and your baseline will increase.

Dreaux

Which technique should I work on more? Push pull? Or more fingers with singles? I know both work and I use push pull for doubles, but for some reason I can't get it to work for fast 16's or fast 8's even

Some may frown upon these suggestions but... (1) I've had some success in practicing with heavier sticks and a less elastic surface. I've been hitting a feather pillow with Buddy Rich signature sticks. It takes the rebound away and gets your forearms cooking pretty quick. (2) I have a pair of sticks in my car and try to keep up with the hat pattern of whatevers on the radio. My particular car has a handle/grip on the dashboard that has a rubberized surface and this works quite well. A twenty minute ride to work turns into a 20 minute right hand workout.*

* Please consult all local safety/traffic laws before attempting this activity. Poster claims no responsibility for negative consequences resulting from suggested activity, nor does he claim knowledge of it's legality.

wsabol

Gold Member
Some may frown upon these suggestions but... (1) I've had some success in practicing with heavier sticks and a less elastic surface. I've been hitting a feather pillow with Buddy Rich signature sticks. It takes the rebound away and gets your forearms cooking pretty quick. (2) I have a pair of sticks in my car and try to keep up with the hat pattern of whatevers on the radio. My particular car has a handle/grip on the dashboard that has a rubberized surface and this works quite well. A twenty minute ride to work turns into a 20 minute right hand workout.*

* Please consult all local safety/traffic laws before attempting this activity. Poster claims no responsibility for negative consequences resulting from suggested activity, nor does he claim knowledge of it's legality.
I do all of this. I don't have much time to practice with my schedule, so most of the practice I do technique/strength wise is with heavy marching sticks, on pillows, and on my steering wheel.

Toolate

Platinum Member
I confess to the same and thought I was the only one (just play my L thigh with my R hand or the reverse- one stick only) until yesterday in a traffic jam I saw a dude absolutely going for it on his steering wheel with 2 sticks!!! I love it when some other nut makes me feel normal.

OP- I cant speak which method to practice but slowly increasse your tempo (you are using a metronome?) one day at a time and crank it up from there. I am months at the speed I am at now....

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Since no one has mentioned it already...(and if you haven't already done this)

To gain speed you need even-ness. Nothing forces you to be even like the evil Metro-Gnome. He's gonna make you faster by making you even.

He will also track where you really are. He's the definition of relentless.

Do your singles to your Master, the God Metro-Gnome. That's your row to hoe. Don't do triplets, do singles.

Good luck....and Godspeed.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Basic single strokes are great.

You can also do a count to 100 with 16th notes on one hand.

Push/pull is a different monster depending on tempo and surface like anything else.

Each speed, fast or slow, has it's own challenges.

Just make a small routine, use a metronome and keep track of your progress.

Nothing happens over night, but with an actual plan that you do every day, progress is inevitable, as long as you just stick with it. It doesn't have to be a long workout including all sorts of stuff. Just something you'll actually do regularly.

Otto

Platinum Member
Check your muscle tension when you are at speed.

Try to relax...and like others have said, practice at slow to moderate speeds with equal even consistant strokes being the focus.

Increase the tempo slowly over days/weeks or even months(years for those with the patients) always focusing on accuracy and relaxation.

NerfLad

Silver Member
In the words of Chris Adler (MD Fest '05):

Speed only comes with time and practice, and if you focus on speed alone, you'll miss out on so many other cool things there are to do with the drums.

Chunky

Silver Member
There's not much I can add here, everyones given you top advice.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is try practising infront of a mirror, it'll show you instantly if you're lop-sided or your right hand is choking the rebound and not coming back as far as the left stick.

Hope that helps!

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I played fast tempo punk for a couple of years. Stuff where your doing 8th notes on the HH at 180-190 BPM with one hand. That got my arm into shape. The first few months were rough because we always started a gig with a fast song. So I had to be somewhere half an hour before we played warming up my arms so that they don't tighten up during the song.

Last practice they told me to play Blitzkrieg Bop a little faster. So I started it a lot faster and half-way through the song my arm tightened up. It was a little rough after that. Good thing it's a a short song, or I might have screwed it up. But I haven't had to play that fast on the HH's for years. My advice would be to practice getting your HH's 1/8th notes to 180 BPM cleanly.

Try playing along to the intro of Criminally Insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqr4QrwSEj4

Last edited:
I played fast tempo punk for a couple of years. Stuff where your doing 8th notes on the HH at 180-190 BPM with one hand. That got my arm into shape. The first few months were rough because we always started a gig with a fast song. So I had to be somewhere half an hour before we played warming up my arms so that they don't tighten up during the song.

Last practice they told me to play Blitzkrieg Bop a little faster. So I started it a lot faster and half-way through the song my arm tightened up. It was a little rough after that. Good thing it's a a short song, or I might have screwed it up. But I haven't had to play that fast on the HH's for years. My advice would be to practice getting your HH's 1/8th notes to 180 BPM cleanly.

Try playing along to the intro of Criminally Insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqr4QrwSEj4
I cant post it right now because Im at work, but there is an excelent video on youtube of Marky Ramone covering this exact topic. He says something to the effect of people think what he plays is simple, but its not because it requires a lot of stamina and if you keep at it, you can build it up. He isnt a very heavy-handed drummer. He's all wrist and fingers, which makes playing fast for a long period of time a lot easier. I went from playing in a fairly medium tempo'd rock band, to taking a full year off drums, to playing in a fast almost thrashy punk band (which Im still in) and the transition was very difficult for me, but after a while, I was able to get to the point where I could hang with them.

Elpecs

If you practice it, you will get it, just spend some time on it.
Regarding the technique to use, use the one the feels and sounds the best for you, everyone is different, and don't get tense!

P

PDPx7Drummer

Nothing forces you to be even like the evil Metro-Gnome. He's gonna make you faster by making you even.

He will also track where you really are. He's the definition of relentless.

Do your singles to your Master, the God Metro-Gnome. That's your row to hoe. Don't do triplets, do singles.

Good luck....and Godspeed.
Evil Metro-Gnome, hahaha nice! :)